POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Blender Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Project Blender (Message 21 to 30 of 78)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Project Blender
Date: 17 Dec 2009 15:57:48
Message: <4b2a9b4c@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> This didn't happen on the VM at work, but on my home PC Blender has
> chosen to render the panels at the bottom of the screen so that there's
> a 2-inch gap on the left, and the last panel is half-way off the right
> edge of the screen.

In case that didn't make sense...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Attachments:
Download 'blender2.png' (99 KB)

Preview of image 'blender2.png'
blender2.png

From: nemesis
Date: 17 Dec 2009 16:07:58
Message: <4b2a9dae@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 escreveu:
> I finally managed to make a torus. (Yes, I realise you could just click
> "add torus". But I wanted to see if it's possible to model it by hand.)
> It's not an especially rounded torus, and it's taken about 20 minutes to
> do, but it's vaguely torus-shaped. (See attached.)
>
> My method was to start with a cube [since every tutorial I've found
> always starts with a cube], scale it, and punch a hole through it.

That box donut sucks.

Should`ve listened to my advice, added a circle, enter edit mode (tab),
grab it to the left (g), go to front view (1), hit spin button in the
panels bellow 4 times, hit w and select "Remove doubles", select all (a)
and hit ctrl+n to recalculate the normals.  This is how you do surfaces
of revolution and is precisely what the "Add torus" script does.

You then quit edit mode, add subsurface modifier in the F9 panels and
also click on "Set Smooth" in the first such panel to the left so you
have some phong shading on.

> Sounds easy, right? Well let me tell you: it isn't.

Of course it isn't easy doing something the wrong way.

> Next, punch a hole in the middle.

forget it:  this isn't CSG, don't try to treat it like one.

> After a while, I discovered that if you select the top and bottom
> surfaces of the cube simultaneously (yes, apparently you can do that),
> and subdivide both faces at once, you get a reasonable grid of points
> that you can then work with.

Forget unnecessary subdivision.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9