POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And you thought flash was only good for youtube. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  And you thought flash was only good for youtube. (Message 41 to 48 of 48)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: And you thought flash was only good for youtube.
Date: 30 Nov 2009 10:57:27
Message: <4b13eb67@news.povray.org>
>> So what you're saying is that we should let somebody make up some
>> mangled mess of a system, and then stamp it as a "standard", rather
>> than designing something properly?
>
> No. I'm saying that if you're going to standardize something, you should
> either standardize what people are already doing, or standardize what
> people aren't yet doing, rather than trying to "standardize" what people
> are already doing but in a different way.

Wait - so you're saying you should write the standard before people
start trying to implement stuff?

That at least makes sense.

>> Stuff like making something like Flash a standard rather than
>> designing SVG? And the single proprietry implementation should be the
>> standard spec?
>>
>> Isn't that exactly why everybody's so upset with the MS document
>> "standard"?
>
> You obviously missed the part where I mentions "multiple inteoperating
> implementations available to the public", right?

It just seems to me that the chances of (say) two companies both
deciding to invent something like USB at the same time, and it being
interoperable, are so vanishingly small as to not be worth even
considering. You need a standard to work to or nothing will ever
interoperate.

Post a reply to this message

> Wait - so you're saying you should write the standard before people
> start trying to implement stuff?

Or after it's already finished. One or the other. Don't try to standardize
what's already widely deployed unless what you're standardizing is the parts
that are common to everyone.

>> You obviously missed the part where I mentions "multiple inteoperating
>> implementations available to the public", right?
>
> It just seems to me that the chances of (say) two companies both
> deciding to invent something like USB at the same time, and it being
> interoperable, are so vanishingly small as to not be worth even
> considering. You need a standard to work to or nothing will ever
> interoperate.

No. They can work together to make the standard, and then not accept the
standard as a standard until it's already working. That's the IETF and ISO
standards process.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> It just seems to me that the chances of (say) two companies both
>> deciding to invent something like USB at the same time, and it being
>> interoperable, are so vanishingly small as to not be worth even
>> considering. You need a standard to work to or nothing will ever
>> interoperate.
>
> No. They can work together to make the standard, and then not accept the
> standard as a standard until it's already working. That's the IETF and
> ISO standards process.

So... why is the finished standard specificstion called a "request for
comments"? This has always bothered me...

Post a reply to this message

> So... why is the finished standard specificstion called a "request for
> comments"? This has always bothered me...

History. :-)  There are a number of phases it goes through, including
proposal, draft standard, recommended standard, and (I think) required
standard. There are also requests for comments that aren't intended to ever
turn into standards.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> So... why is the finished standard specificstion called a "request for
>> comments"? This has always bothered me...
>
> History. :-)  There are a number of phases it goes through, including
> proposal, draft standard, recommended standard, and (I think) required
> standard. There are also requests for comments that aren't intended to
> ever turn into standards.

And yet, if you look up the defintion of (say) the Routing Information
Protocol, it's defined in RFC 2453. Which makes it sound like they're
*requesting* people to comment on a possible standard, rather than
*defining* a finished standard.

History, I guess. Much like the way that a parcel traveling by car is a
shipment, and a parcel travelling by ship is cargo... ;-)

Post a reply to this message