POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And you thought flash was only good for youtube. : Re: And you thought flash was only good for youtube. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And you thought flash was only good for youtube.
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Dec 2009 11:49:29
Message: <4b154919$1@news.povray.org>
>> So... why is the finished standard specificstion called a "request for
>> comments"? This has always bothered me...
>
> History. :-)  There are a number of phases it goes through, including
> proposal, draft standard, recommended standard, and (I think) required
> standard. There are also requests for comments that aren't intended to
> ever turn into standards.

And yet, if you look up the defintion of (say) the Routing Information
Protocol, it's defined in RFC 2453. Which makes it sound like they're
*requesting* people to comment on a possible standard, rather than
*defining* a finished standard.

History, I guess. Much like the way that a parcel traveling by car is a
shipment, and a parcel travelling by ship is cargo... ;-)