POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And you thought flash was only good for youtube. : Re: And you thought flash was only good for youtube. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And you thought flash was only good for youtube.
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Nov 2009 13:22:07
Message: <4b140d4f$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Wait - so you're saying you should write the standard before people
> start trying to implement stuff?

Or after it's already finished. One or the other. Don't try to standardize
what's already widely deployed unless what you're standardizing is the parts
that are common to everyone.

>> You obviously missed the part where I mentions "multiple inteoperating
>> implementations available to the public", right?
>
> It just seems to me that the chances of (say) two companies both
> deciding to invent something like USB at the same time, and it being
> interoperable, are so vanishingly small as to not be worth even
> considering. You need a standard to work to or nothing will ever
> interoperate.

No. They can work together to make the standard, and then not accept the
standard as a standard until it's already working. That's the IETF and ISO
standards process.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)