POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SCIENCE! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  SCIENCE! (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: SCIENCE!
Date: 26 Nov 2009 10:44:15
Message: <4b0ea24f@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >  Well, *usually* science goes through the cycle:
> >
> > 1) We observe some phenomenon,
> > 2) We study and measure the phenomenon.
> > 3) We formulate hypotheses, and if these hypotheses can make enough
> > accurate
> >   predictions which match new observations, they are made into theories.
> > 4) If new observations and measurements contradict the existing theories,
> >   they are revised, or entirely new hypotheses are formulated, so we go
> >   back to step 1.

> Didn't Einstein predict black holes before we found any?

  That would be step #3 above.

  What Einstein did not do is to observe a black hole, notice that it did
not conform to his theory, but tried to make it conform anyways.

  That's what I feel QM is doing.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 26 Nov 2009 10:46:18
Message: <4b0ea2ca@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> It's not uncommon for a new theory to explain observed phenomina but
> also predict something that nobody has seen before.

  Actually that's one of the requisites in order to change a hypothesis into
a theory. (Ok, not a requisite per se, but if it the hypothesis does predict
something and later it results that the prediction was correct, that's a
strong incentive into making the hypothesis a theory.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message