POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Trivial trigonometry (Message 169 to 178 of 178)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Trivial trigonometry
Date: 8 Dec 2009 02:05:20
Message: <4b1dfab0$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> All are in agreement with he Schrödinger wave equation, so it's not
>> the equation that's the issue here.
>
> OK. I'm now more educated, I think.

It's a point which is often neglected.  Just to be clear though, the
issue is more subtle than I'm making it sound and AFAIK most
interpretations which give a deterministic state to the cat have run
into problems (for instance when incorporating them into special
relativity).  Also such interpretations are necessarily non-local.

>> Perhaps I'm missing what  point you're making?
>
> Only that the quantum equations don't *seem* to apply to the macroscopic
> world, for reasons unknown?

Yeah, IANAP (I am not a physicist) but as far as I'm aware this is
correct.  Although I think there's some interpretations which describe
why this is the case perfectly well, they just might come with other
philosophical implications that are undesirable (for instance I'd put
the many-worlds interpretation into this class).

Post a reply to this message

> Also such interpretations are necessarily non-local.

I read recently that someone did a Bell's Inequality type of experiment with
  more than 20 angles measured in 3D and from that somehow deduced locality.
Interesting.

> Yeah, IANAP (I am not a physicist) but as far as I'm aware this is
> correct.  Although I think there's some interpretations which describe
> why this is the case perfectly well, they just might come with other
> philosophical implications that are undesirable (for instance I'd put
> the many-worlds interpretation into this class).

Yah. I suspect it's much more mundane, like the "decoherence" section of the
paper Neeum posted.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)