POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Dec 2009 00:22:09
Message: <4b1f3401$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Of course, the only flaw in the argument is that a cat isn't a
>> particle, so what effects *one* particle, doesn't effect something
>> made of a *lot* of them.
>
> Why not?  Indeed, that *is* the flaw in the argument, but the question
> is "why not?"
>
>> This is the absurdity involved. Its like asking why relativity doesn't
>> work in black holes. Because its a bloody black hole, which has
>> different rules.
>
> Relativity works just fine in black holes. That's why we know about them.
>
>> In effect, QM is what goes on in single instances,
>
> Single instances of what?
>
>> normal reality is an emergent property of what happens when QM can't
>> (or, if you prefer, the constraints put on the system reduce the
>> probability of a different result to near zero).
>
> Like what, in the case of the cat, specifically?  A different result
> from being alive or dead?
>
>> Same with particle interactions. Right?
>
> You tell me. You seem to have it all figured out so trivially.

No, what I am getting at is the math works in some specific cases, but
most of the time your particles are "not" in a state where that case
applies. That is what I mean about constraints. The cat, as a
collection, has constraints that an individual particle, in the test
cases, doesn't. After all, we don't throw cats are targets to measure
their QM, we generate single particles. And, no, that isn't bloody
trivial, any more than saying, "adding a strange attractor", tell you
what the result will actually look like. It just tells you it won't be
what you would have had *without it*. If I said A + B = QM, that would
be a "trivial" solution. lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {