POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:50:04 EDT (-0400)
  Trivial trigonometry (Message 119 to 128 of 178)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Trivial trigonometry
Date: 2 Dec 2009 11:37:19
Message: <4b1697bf$1@news.povray.org>
>> No. The "interference" is caused not by the particle, but by the slits.
>
>  How does the photon know there was another slit nearby, and behave
> differently if that was so?

If you could answer exactly how a photon "knows" where it can and can't go
then you'd probably become quite famous.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Dec 2009 11:48:32
Message: <4b169a60$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> No. The "interference" is caused not by the particle, but by the slits.
>
>   How does the photon know there was another slit nearby, and behave
> differently if that was so?

Nobody knows.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Dec 2009 11:49:48
Message: <4b169aac$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   That's the kind of "observation" I don't understand.

They're still working on that one.  Someone recently proposed it's actually
gravity waves causing the "collapse", which is why it doesn't happen until
you get enough particles that gravity becomes significant. Or some such.

That's another one of those "nobody is sure why yet" kind of things.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)