POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
8 Oct 2024 22:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Warp
Date: 2 Dec 2009 15:05:18
Message: <4b16c87d@news.povray.org>
> >   But it seems that everybody knows that it does not happen by the photon
> > going through both slits?

> Correct.  Or, rather, nobody has ever measured anything that would imply the
> photon goes through both slits as a wave.

  The interference pattern in the detector is not a measurement?

> Essentially, every single time you find a photon, you find an entire photon.
> There's never a case where you get a half a photon.

  But I thought that's the whole idea in the Copenhagen interpretation:
Particles are in superpositions until they are measured, in which case
they collapse into a definite state. Thus when you measure a photon, you
will always find a collapsed photon.

> >   (After all, it would make sense: If there's no other slit to go through,
> > then it can't go through two slits, and thus its behavior is different than
> > if there was another slit and it went through both.)

> But it only goes through one slit if you measure which slit it went thru.
> This is true even *if* you make the measurement *after* the slits. You never
> see the photon going through both slits, like you would if it were actually
> a wave.

  You also never see the cat in both live and dead states at the same time.

> >   Or is this again that kind of almost-supernatural phenomena like the
> > photon somehow knowing that one year from now it will be measured which
> > slit it went through and thus it will already know to not to produce the
> > interference pattern?

> Again, it's not a question of one photon making an interference pattern.
> It's a bunch of photons making an interference pattern. Any one photon shows
> up all at once and makes a single discrete mark wherever it hits. It's just
> more likely to hit in one area than another.

  Of course I implied that you perform the test many times and see the overall
pattern that the photons create.

--
                                                          - Warp