POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry Server Time
8 Oct 2024 22:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Trivial trigonometry (Message 109 to 118 of 178)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Trivial trigonometry
Date: 2 Dec 2009 08:16:46
Message: <4b1668be$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> for a wide band with low energy at any specific single wavelength to
>
> How can you have a "wide band" at a specific single wavelength?  Surely
> the definition of a "band" is a range of wavelengths?
>
> Sure, if the peak is at 600 nm, then the energy in the band from 599.99
> to 600.01 will most likely be less than the band from 100 to 599.

What I actually meant was that a "peak" is just one wavelength with a
lot of energy. The band containing the peak isn't necessarily the band
with the highest total energy.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 2 Dec 2009 08:35:00
Message: <web.4b166cf06ad665b96dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Sure. So if you know how hot the star is, you know roughly the shape of
> the entire emission spectrum. :-)

Yes. Except of course it works the other way around in practice.

> > think maybe lightbulbs peak in the IR (lower temperature), so all we see is a
> > section of the tail of the spectrum.
>
> The peak is just the single wavelength at which there is the most
> energy. I think if you look at *bands* of the spectrum, it's possible
> for a wide band with low energy at any specific single wavelength to
> have a greater total power and a band containing only a single
> high-power (but narrow) peak.

What Scott said. But I know what you mean - and yes, of course. I was just
explaining why most of an incandescent bulb's energy output is not in the
visible. Look at the shape of a blackbody spectrum for 3000K. Clearly, most of
the power output is IR and beyond.

Post a reply to this message