POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
9 Oct 2024 00:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Warp
Date: 2 Dec 2009 10:38:55
Message: <4b168a0f@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > when the state of the particle is "observed" (whatever that might mean)

> Merely that you have done something to it which changes its unknown
> state, usually causing it to make contact with another particle(s), such
> as a detector.

  I think the Copenhagen interpretation goes beyond that. If the decay of
the radioactive substance causes the flask to be broken, killing the cat,
it has already been "observed" (by whatever detector caused the flask to
be broken) and thus there are no superimposed states, but according to
the Copenhagen interpretation there are, until some external observer opens
the box.

  That's the kind of "observation" I don't understand.

--
                                                          - Warp