POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ... (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ...
Date: 19 Nov 2009 11:59:24
Message: <4b05796c@news.povray.org>
For years I suspected something was wrong. I never could quite nail it
down. I looked at many mental illnesses and none quite seemed to fit. I
finally looked at a description of the symptoms of ADD in an adult.

Oh... my... god... It fit me perfectly. My time in school (high IQ, a
solid C student) fit, too. It all makes sense. The daydreaming in class,
the absolute failure to do homework, the "Project graveyard" on my
computer, the utter lack of ability to actually concentrate on work if
it wasn't "sexy" enough.

So, I talked to a doctor, he had me fill out a questionnaire and
interviewed me about my childhood and how I performed in school. He
prescribed some medication, and ... it's like day and night! I cannot
believe how easy it is to stay on task, how I can be productive... How I
can choose appropriate times for leisure.

Anyway... that is, essentially more about me than anyone really wanted
to know. Now I have to force myself to eat lunch.
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> For years I suspected something was wrong. I never could quite nail it
> down. I looked at many mental illnesses and none quite seemed to fit. I
> finally looked at a description of the symptoms of ADD in an adult.

Isn't another name for ADD "Asperger's Syndrome" (too lazy to go pedia'ing
at the moment)?

--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

> For years I suspected something was wrong. I never could quite nail it
> down. I looked at many mental illnesses and none quite seemed to fit. I
> finally looked at a description of the symptoms of ADD in an adult.
>
> Oh... my... god... It fit me perfectly. My time in school (high IQ, a
> solid C student) fit, too. It all makes sense. The daydreaming in class,
> the absolute failure to do homework, the "Project graveyard" on my
> computer, the utter lack of ability to actually concentrate on work if it
> wasn't "sexy" enough.
>
> So, I talked to a doctor, he had me fill out a questionnaire and
> interviewed me about my childhood and how I performed in school. He
> prescribed some medication, and ... it's like day and night! I cannot
> believe how easy it is to stay on task, how I can be productive... How I
> can choose appropriate times for leisure.
>
> Anyway... that is, essentially more about me than anyone really wanted to
> know. Now I have to force myself to eat lunch.
> --
> ~Mike

I've been treated for ADD for about ten years now, and I was simply amazed
at the difference when I first started taking meds for it. Oh, how I wish I
could go back in time and find that army of school teachers who always said,
"Jack's smart enough, he just doesn't *apply* himself."

*sigh*

Good for you, hope things continue to improve.

--
Jack

Post a reply to this message

"Stefan Viljoen" <pov### [at] polardcom> wrote in message
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> For years I suspected something was wrong. I never could quite nail it
>> down. I looked at many mental illnesses and none quite seemed to fit. I
>> finally looked at a description of the symptoms of ADD in an adult.
>
> Isn't another name for ADD "Asperger's Syndrome" (too lazy to go pedia'ing
> at the moment)?
>
> --
> Stefan Viljoen

Aspergers is part of the autism spectrum, which is something else entirely.
There are a few symptoms of each that bear some similarity, and both are
more commonly diagnosed in children, but that's about it.

--
Jack

Post a reply to this message

On 11/19/2009 11:26 AM, Captain Jack wrote:

> could go back in time and find that army of school teachers who always said,
> "Jack's smart enough, he just doesn't *apply* himself."

lol... Just about all of my teachers used that same line...

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> For years I suspected something was wrong. I never could quite nail it
> down. I looked at many mental illnesses and none quite seemed to fit. I
> finally looked at a description of the symptoms of ADD in an adult.
>
> Oh... my... god... It fit me perfectly. My time in school (high IQ, a
> solid C student) fit, too. It all makes sense. The daydreaming in class,
> the absolute failure to do homework, the "Project graveyard" on my
> computer, the utter lack of ability to actually concentrate on work if
> it wasn't "sexy" enough.
>
> So, I talked to a doctor, he had me fill out a questionnaire and
> interviewed me about my childhood and how I performed in school. He
> prescribed some medication, and ... it's like day and night! I cannot
> believe how easy it is to stay on task, how I can be productive... How I
> can choose appropriate times for leisure.

Your description seems to fit me too.

I was about to unsubscribe from povray.off-topic *again* so I stop having
the feeling of "I have to catch up with the 330 unread messages in it" and
start doing something useful. But I think the time will just transfer to
Wikipedia or something.

Although currently the main problem I have is with sleep, and the computer.

Staying up till 4 am, regretting it in the "morning" (read: 11am-2pm) when
it's so hard to get out of bed, then doing it again the next night. At those
times (3-4am), I feel tired, my eyes hurt, I'm yawning, and yet I *can't get
the **** off the computer*.

Sometimes I'd get off the computer at, say, 2 am, then go to my bedroom
and... spend another hour on the internet from my iPod Touch (which is worse
for my eyes, since it's a tiny screen). A few months ago I configured my
router to block Wi-Fi access from that MAC address at midnight. And the next
day I couldn't resist setting it back ._. Recently I blocked it again, and
it seems to be "working"...

Post a reply to this message

You found by yourself a neurological disorder affecting you, that's
remarkable, IO hope things keep getting better for you.

Cheers.

Post a reply to this message

> Anyway... that is, essentially more about me than anyone really wanted
> to know. Now I have to force myself to eat lunch.

Well done and I hope lunch was good. :)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> So, I talked to a doctor, he had me fill out a questionnaire and
> interviewed me about my childhood and how I performed in school. He
> prescribed some medication, and ... it's like day and night! I cannot
> believe how easy it is to stay on task, how I can be productive... How I
> can choose appropriate times for leisure.

How much of it would have to do with placebo? ;)

Post a reply to this message

> For years I suspected something was wrong. I never could quite nail it
> down. I looked at many mental illnesses and none quite seemed to fit. I
> finally looked at a description of the symptoms of ADD in an adult.
>
> Oh... my... god... It fit me perfectly. My time in school (high IQ, a
> solid C student) fit, too. It all makes sense. The daydreaming in class,
> the absolute failure to do homework, the "Project graveyard" on my
> computer, the utter lack of ability to actually concentrate on work if
> it wasn't "sexy" enough.
>
> So, I talked to a doctor, he had me fill out a questionnaire and
> interviewed me about my childhood and how I performed in school. He
> prescribed some medication, and ... it's like day and night! I cannot
> believe how easy it is to stay on task, how I can be productive... How I
> can choose appropriate times for leisure.
>
> Anyway... that is, essentially more about me than anyone really wanted
> to know. Now I have to force myself to eat lunch.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm curious if you'll be happier in six months or just more
"productive." Keep us updated.

  -Shay