POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ... : Re: I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ...
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 19 Nov 2009 13:48:26
Message: <4b0592fa$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> For years I suspected something was wrong. I never could quite nail it
> down. I looked at many mental illnesses and none quite seemed to fit. I
> finally looked at a description of the symptoms of ADD in an adult.
>
> Oh... my... god... It fit me perfectly. My time in school (high IQ, a
> solid C student) fit, too. It all makes sense. The daydreaming in class,
> the absolute failure to do homework, the "Project graveyard" on my
> computer, the utter lack of ability to actually concentrate on work if
> it wasn't "sexy" enough.
>
> So, I talked to a doctor, he had me fill out a questionnaire and
> interviewed me about my childhood and how I performed in school. He
> prescribed some medication, and ... it's like day and night! I cannot
> believe how easy it is to stay on task, how I can be productive... How I
> can choose appropriate times for leisure.

Your description seems to fit me too.

I was about to unsubscribe from povray.off-topic *again* so I stop having
the feeling of "I have to catch up with the 330 unread messages in it" and
start doing something useful. But I think the time will just transfer to
Wikipedia or something.

Although currently the main problem I have is with sleep, and the computer.

Staying up till 4 am, regretting it in the "morning" (read: 11am-2pm) when
it's so hard to get out of bed, then doing it again the next night. At those
times (3-4am), I feel tired, my eyes hurt, I'm yawning, and yet I *can't get
the **** off the computer*.

Sometimes I'd get off the computer at, say, 2 am, then go to my bedroom
and... spend another hour on the internet from my iPod Touch (which is worse
for my eyes, since it's a tiny screen). A few months ago I configured my
router to block Wi-Fi access from that MAC address at midnight. And the next
day I couldn't resist setting it back ._. Recently I blocked it again, and
it seems to be "working"...