POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents (Message 11 to 20 of 81)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
Date: 18 Nov 2009 02:40:19
Message: <4b03a4e3$1@news.povray.org>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20091111094923390
>
>  If the US patent office was capable of actually checking for obvious
> prior art, then *maybe* one could perhaps accept software patents. As it
> is, it's just crazy.

This is not unique to software patents, and don't worry, just because a
patent was granted doesn't mean it will stand up in court.  I highly doubt
this will prevent any competitor from making a graphical sudo.

Post a reply to this message

>>  If the US patent office was capable of actually checking for obvious
>> prior art, then *maybe* one could perhaps accept software patents. As it
>> is, it's just crazy.
>
> This is not unique to software patents, and don't worry, just because a
> patent was granted doesn't mean it will stand up in court.  I highly
> doubt this will prevent any competitor from making a graphical sudo.

Trouble is, as I understand it, in the US the winner is always the side
with the most money, regardless of the facts of the issue. Also, I'm
told it's not uncommon for a company to go out of business just because
somebody *threatens* to sue them. Even if they don't have a hope in hell
of winning.

Post a reply to this message

> Trouble is, as I understand it, in the US the winner is always the side
> with the most money, regardless of the facts of the issue.

Well if one side can't afford any lawyers then it might make it tricky, but
after that I don't think the money each side has will have much influence.

> Also, I'm told it's not uncommon for a company to go out of business just
> because somebody *threatens* to sue them. Even if they don't have a hope
> in hell of winning.

Yeh, I guess if you don't have enough money to pay lawyers and are just
relying on one product that *might* infringe on someone elses patent, you're
a bit screwed.

Post a reply to this message

>> Trouble is, as I understand it, in the US the winner is always the
>> side with the most money, regardless of the facts of the issue.
>
> Well if one side can't afford any lawyers then it might make it tricky,
> but after that I don't think the money each side has will have much
> influence.

Seems to me more like a case of "the most expensive lawyer always wins".

> Yeh, I guess if you don't have enough money to pay lawyers and are just
> relying on one product that *might* infringe on someone elses patent,
> you're a bit screwed.

Threatening to sue somebody is a good way to make investors go elsewhere.

Post a reply to this message