POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: scott
Date: 18 Nov 2009 04:52:52
Message: <4b03c3f4@news.povray.org>
> Trouble is, as I understand it, in the US the winner is always the side
> with the most money, regardless of the facts of the issue.

Well if one side can't afford any lawyers then it might make it tricky, but
after that I don't think the money each side has will have much influence.

> Also, I'm told it's not uncommon for a company to go out of business just
> because somebody *threatens* to sue them. Even if they don't have a hope
> in hell of winning.

Yeh, I guess if you don't have enough money to pay lawyers and are just
relying on one product that *might* infringe on someone elses patent, you're
a bit screwed.