POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall Server Time
9 Oct 2024 21:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Operation downfall (Message 221 to 230 of 244)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Operation downfall
Date: 2 Dec 2009 07:48:56
Message: <4b166238@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> You go to some jobs website. You click the button that says "apply",
>>> and it tells you "your CV has been forwarded".
>>
>> Fail!  You should check and double check the job description and
>> update your CV to match before applying to each job.
>
> 1. Most of these websites don't allow you to do that. (You can only have
> one version of your CV - or sometimes 3 or something.)

Poo! You don’t use the CV registered on the website. You upload a fresh one.

> 2. I don't have time to write thousands of custom versions of my CV.

You do it as the jobs appear and as for time. How long to you spend here?

> 3. Usually the jobs I'm applying for are so tangentally related to what
> I'm actually after that it's dubious that I *could* make my CV look any
> more relevant than it already does (i.e., not very).

Keep trying and one might work.

>> Simply sending an exact copy of the same CV to everywhere that sounds
>> interesting is a recipe for failure.
>
> I don't have a lot of choice here. It took *months* to get my CV to the
> stage it's at now. God only knows how long it would take to customise it
> for every single job I've ever applied for. And it would be just my luck
> that I'd end up missing out important information or adding spelling
> mistakes. By having only one CV, I can work on making it a very strong
> CV. By having millions, I dilute that effort.

Why not listen to people who apply for and get jobs? Hmm. :)

>>> You never hear back. What else can you do?

Phone the agency even if it is on the pretext of ensuring that they got
your CV.
That’s what I do.

> We're talking about the investment branch of Lloyds TSB, in the
> financial district of London. I doubt they're short of applicants.

In the hotel where I am staying in Chester there are a couple of long
term residents who are training new starts for Lloyds TSB. So there must
be a demand for the training.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen