POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Operation downfall (Message 195 to 204 of 244)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Operation downfall
Date: 1 Dec 2009 06:27:38
Message: <4b14fdaa@news.povray.org>
> Like I said, I think I just find foreign accents intimidating.

Everyone finds it hard to understand perfectly different accents until they
are used to them, I remember two Scottish guys that used to come to our
office, the number of times I had to ask them to repeat stuff they said,
also have you ever heard Patrick Moore speak?

Anyway, fact is you get used to accents, and if you're surrounded by people
all with the same accent you're going to get used to it really quickly and
then it won't intimidate you.

Post a reply to this message

>> No, it's more that I find foreigners intimidating. That being the
>> case, it's not a good idea to deliberately surround myself with them.
>>
> In all seriousness, did I intimidate you? I hope not...
Arrrrgg! stupid Thunderbird (or better: stupid me)! That previous post
is supposed to come from me...

Post a reply to this message

From: none
Date: 1 Dec 2009 06:32:37
Message: <4b14fed5$1@news.povray.org>
none wrote:
> none wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>>>
>>> No, it's more that I find foreigners intimidating. That being the
>>> case, it's not a good idea to deliberately surround myself with them.
>>>
>> In all seriousness, did I intimidate you? I hope not...
> Arrrrgg! stupid Thunderbird (or better: stupid me)! That previous post
> is supposed to come from me...
Whaaa! It's me, Michael Zier! Why does that "none"-thingy happen to me...

Post a reply to this message

From: Michael Zier
Date: 1 Dec 2009 06:35:28
Message: <4b14ff80$1@news.povray.org>
none wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>>
>> No, it's more that I find foreigners intimidating. That being the
>> case, it's not a good idea to deliberately surround myself with them.
>>
> In all seriousness, did I intimidate you? I hope not...
Ok, it was me, seems to work now.

Micha

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 1 Dec 2009 06:39:38
Message: <4b15007a$1@news.povray.org>
>>> In all seriousness, did I intimidate you? I hope not...
>> Arrrrgg! stupid Thunderbird (or better: stupid me)! That previous post
>> is supposed to come from me...
> Whaaa! It's me, Michael Zier! Why does that "none"-thingy happen to me...

You don't exist. Go away.

How many computer systems have told you THAT, eh? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 1 Dec 2009 06:53:33
Message: <4b1503bd$1@news.povray.org>
>>> No, it's more that I find foreigners intimidating. That being the
>>> case, it's not a good idea to deliberately surround myself with them.
>>>
>> In all seriousness, did I intimidate you? I hope not...
> Ok, it was me, seems to work now.

Only a little.

(Mostly when you talk about Bahhhhhkk... *wipe*)

;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Michael Zier
Date: 1 Dec 2009 08:08:38
Message: <4b151556$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Arrrrgg! stupid Thunderbird (or better: stupid me)! That previous
>>> post is supposed to come from me...
>> Whaaa! It's me, Michael Zier! Why does that "none"-thingy happen to me...
>
> You don't exist. Go away.
>
> How many computer systems have told you THAT, eh? ;-)
*pop*

[silence follows.]

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 1 Dec 2009 10:04:58
Message: <4B153097.7030206@hotmail.com>
On 1-12-2009 11:24, Invisible wrote:

> I don't think it's feasible for me to get an enjoyable job. Let's face
> it, nobody is going to pay me to sit around geeking out over monadic
> combinator libraries. They're going to pay me to get a job done, no
> matter how boring it turns out to be.
>
> One of the careers advisors I spoke to suggested that with my skill set
> I should maybe look at financial modelling. I looked around, and did
> find a job. First, the job was based in London. Second, they demand a
> PhD. Not negotiatable. I guess if I had really amazing grades from my
> degree I could argue that they should at least look at me... but I don't.

So, get yourself a job where you can study for a grade.

> Let's be real here. You want to be a programmer? Why should I hire you?
> There are other programmers out there. Programmers who can do C and C++.
> Programmers who understand cache coherence and can cope with
> little-endian data (mis)representation. Programmers who won't get bored
> and do something unrelated every five minutes.
>
> You wanna be a technical writer? Other people can write. And most of
> them write a damned site better than you. They can express themselves
> clearly, they can FREAKING SPELL, and they can type faster than you. Why
> should we hire you?
>
> You wanna do something with maths? Other people have a real, formal
> mathematical education. With certificates and grades to prove it. Who
> are you trying to kid?
>
> You want to design digital logic? We have engineering graduates who have
> been *actually doing* this stuff for, like, the last 8 years. Why should
> be hire some guy who's read about it in a book when we have a queue of
> people who have done it for real?
>
> I need to be realistic about what work it is actually possible for me to
> get. I'm never going to be a software architect or a document writer.
> These jobs are few and far between, and there are plenty of people far
> more qualified than I am already competing for them. I need to look at
> jobs I might actually be able to get - and I doubt location makes a huge
> difference to that.

I think a few people, including me, already pointed out that this is
merely your imagination at work, combined with your legendary google skills.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 1 Dec 2009 11:18:26
Message: <4b1541d2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> No, it's more that I find foreigners intimidating. That being the case,
> it's not a good idea to deliberately surround myself with them.

Quite the opposite, really.

> I don't think it's feasible for me to get an enjoyable job. Let's face
> it, nobody is going to pay me to sit around geeking out over monadic
> combinator libraries. They're going to pay me to get a job done, no
> matter how boring it turns out to be.

Google will let you spend 20% of your time working on whatever project you
want to work on.  So yeah, they will pay you to sit around geeking out over
monadic combinator libraries.

I have the contact info for a google HR person if you want to bop your
resume in directly.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Invisible
Date: 1 Dec 2009 11:24:52
Message: <4b154354$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Google will let you spend 20% of your time working on whatever project
> you want to work on.  So yeah, they will pay you to sit around geeking
> out over monadic combinator libraries.
>
> I have the contact info for a google HR person if you want to bop your
> resume in directly.

In which country?

Last time I checked, Google doesn't have a presence in the UK.