POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Operation downfall (Message 131 to 140 of 244)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Operation downfall
Date: 24 Nov 2009 16:17:42
Message: <4B0C4D78.1050308@hotmail.com>
On 24-11-2009 10:17, Invisible wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Not just outside MK, but outside the immediate area.  You are still
>> stuck on this idea that you couldn't possibly afford a house, so you
>> don't bother to look at places where they might actually pay you
>> enough to afford a house (or a flat).
>
> You don't seem to get it, do you? I *like* MK. I don't want to leave.
> It's the only place in the UK I've found that isn't old and crappy.
>
>> But broadening your search to look for a different career also
>> wouldn't be a bad way to increase the odds of finding something.
>
> Well, it's a case of facing facts. Who the hell needs programmers?
> Nobody. Who needs someone to look after their computers? Quite a lot of
> people...
I need a programmer, someone who knows how to handle procedures, someone
with experience in 3D, someone able to work in a multidisciplinary team,
someone to keep us focussed, someone with knowledge of anatomy, and
indeed a sysop for a small group.
Salary with your CV, I am guessing, around €3000 per month or slightly
less. Before tax.
Need not all be present in one person, there will be 2 positions to
fill. And there will be at least two other persons that are able to
perform sysop like tasks.
But I think we established that you would not even consider moving to
Amsterdam.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 24 Nov 2009 16:18:42
Message: <4B0C4DB4.4090305@hotmail.com>
On 24-11-2009 15:58, Invisible wrote:
> Heh. Sure. I mean, just turn my back on everyone and everything I have
> ever cared about in this world

Interesting.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Nov 2009 17:05:27
Message: <4b0daa27@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:17:25 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Not just outside MK, but outside the immediate area.  You are still
>> stuck on this idea that you couldn't possibly afford a house, so you
>> don't bother to look at places where they might actually pay you enough
>> to afford a house (or a flat).
>
> You don't seem to get it, do you? I *like* MK. I don't want to leave.
> It's the only place in the UK I've found that isn't old and crappy.

And at the same time, you say "I don't want to get the crap kicked out of
me by standing up for myself" - which to me DOESN'T sound like that great
of a place to live.  Unless you like living in fear of having the crap
kicked out of you for standing up for yourself.

I understand that there are things you like about MK.  I also understand
that you haven't actually seen a lot of the world, so your decision-
making being based on what you know is what's limiting you.

>> But broadening your search to look for a different career also wouldn't
>> be a bad way to increase the odds of finding something.
>
> Well, it's a case of facing facts. Who the hell needs programmers?
> Nobody. Who needs someone to look after their computers? Quite a lot of
> people...

Nobody in MK perhaps, which is why you maybe need to broaden your search
parameters - and not just by fields, but by geography.

That's my point, and one you have rather persistently not seen.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Nov 2009 17:06:42
Message: <4b0daa72$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:53:33 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Not just outside MK, but outside the immediate area.  You are still
>> stuck
>
> He is in KIP!

LOL

> Off Topic for this thread but it saves me starting another one and in
> this green society that gives me brownie points and points mean?
>
> ISIHAC Series 52, Episode 2 has an interesting game of Mornington
> Crescent. It can be heard for 12 more days at
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ny7n8

Yay!  We listened to Ep1, and I was wondering when we were finally going
to get an episode of MC.  Will grab it (should have shown up on uknova by
now?).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Nov 2009 17:07:27
Message: <4b0daa9f$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:58:51 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Sure. Or I could just top myself now. Probably a lot simpler. :-P
>>
>> Apply for a job in SF, they give you a telephone interview, then pay
>> for your flight and hotel to do a face-to-face interview.  Then they
>> offer you the job, obviously including relocation expenses.  You take a
>> flight there, stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks until you find a
>> house/apartment, then arrange to have the rest of your stuff shipped
>> over.  Job done.  People do this all the time, it's no big deal.  If it
>> turns out you hate it then move back after 6 months or whatever.
>
> Heh. Sure. I mean, just turn my back on everyone and everything I have
> ever cared about in this world, travel thousands of miles to somewhere
> where I don't even know what the laws are never mind the local customs,
> and live in total isolation for the rest of my life (or at least until I
> decide I want to stop). I'm sure people do it every day. :-}

Hey, we're planning to move to Scotland in the next few years.  People do
this quite regularly.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Nov 2009 17:09:52
Message: <4b0dab30$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:01:15 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Sure. Or I could just top myself now. Probably a lot simpler. :-P
>>
>> Do you realise that you have just dissed the most important country in
>> the world. Expect cruse missiles over MK by tonight :p
>
> Hey, some *other* people might like San Francisco. Especially if they
> like wearing flowers in their hair. But that's not my style...

Then you don't understand what SF is all about very well, and you're
prejudging based on, I don't know, movies you've seen that are supposedly
set in SF?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 26 Nov 2009 02:41:06
Message: <4b0e3112$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:53:33 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>

> Yay!  We listened to Ep1, and I was wondering when we were finally going
> to get an episode of MC.  Will grab it (should have shown up on uknova by
> now?).
>
> Jim

I won’t spoil it for you :)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Nov 2009 04:28:39
Message: <4b0e4a47$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Do you realise that you have just dissed the most important country in
>>> the world. Expect cruse missiles over MK by tonight :p
>> Hey, some *other* people might like San Francisco. Especially if they
>> like wearing flowers in their hair. But that's not my style...
>
> Then you don't understand what SF is all about very well, and you're
> prejudging based on, I don't know, movies you've seen that are supposedly
> set in SF?

The thing about the flowers was supposed to be entertaining. I'm just
saying that, while other people might like it, I personally don't want
to live in SF.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Nov 2009 04:47:15
Message: <4b0e4ea3@news.povray.org>
>> You don't seem to get it, do you? I *like* MK. I don't want to leave.
>> It's the only place in the UK I've found that isn't old and crappy.
>
> And at the same time, you say "I don't want to get the crap kicked out of
> me by standing up for myself" - which to me DOESN'T sound like that great
> of a place to live.  Unless you like living in fear of having the crap
> kicked out of you for standing up for yourself.

Surely that's the some everywhere though? I mean, whether you're in
London, Paris or Rome, upsetting people generally isn't a good idea.

> I understand that there are things you like about MK.  I also understand
> that you haven't actually seen a lot of the world, so your decision-
> making being based on what you know is what's limiting you.

I've been to a number of random cities around the country. Hell, I've
even been to places in other countries. The nice thing about Switzerland
is the skiing. But if it weren't for the skiing and the snow, there
would be absolutely no reason to go there - and I would certainly never
ever want to live there, even if it were somehow possible to ski every
single day, all year round.

Similarly, I enjoy visiting places in London such as the Natural History
Museum and the Royal Albert Hall, but London itself is an unpleasent
inconvenience that I have to go through to get to these places. It's
certainly not somewhere I'd choose to hang around.

And then there are places like Liverpool and Lincoln, which I also only
visit because there's something there I want. I certainly don't hang
around for the city itself. Brrr!

>> Well, it's a case of facing facts. Who the hell needs programmers?
>> Nobody. Who needs someone to look after their computers? Quite a lot of
>> people...
>
> Nobody in MK perhaps, which is why you maybe need to broaden your search
> parameters - and not just by fields, but by geography.
>
> That's my point, and one you have rather persistently not seen.

Well sure, if I go live in London I'm sure there are bucket-loads of
programming jobs. The point is that I don't *want* to ever have to live
in London if humanly possible. What's complicated about that?

Hell, if I move to Germany, I could hypothetically go work for Native
Instruments. (I mean, if it weren't for the fact that this is obviously
impossible.) But then I'd have to live in Germany, which would kind of
negate the benefits.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 26 Nov 2009 06:14:14
Message: <4b0e6306@news.povray.org>
> Surely that's the some everywhere though? I mean, whether you're in
> London, Paris or Rome, upsetting people generally isn't a good idea.

In most UK cities though, it seems that "casually glancing at someone"
counts as trying to start a fight if they've had a few drinks - I've not
seen that anywhere else.  In fact the general level of drunken violence I
have not seen anywhere outside of the UK (apart from where British people
go, eg away football matches and holiday resorts).  That is one thing I
certainly don't miss about the UK.