POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Nov 2009 04:47:15
Message: <4b0e4ea3@news.povray.org>
>> You don't seem to get it, do you? I *like* MK. I don't want to leave.
>> It's the only place in the UK I've found that isn't old and crappy.
>
> And at the same time, you say "I don't want to get the crap kicked out of
> me by standing up for myself" - which to me DOESN'T sound like that great
> of a place to live.  Unless you like living in fear of having the crap
> kicked out of you for standing up for yourself.

Surely that's the some everywhere though? I mean, whether you're in
London, Paris or Rome, upsetting people generally isn't a good idea.

> I understand that there are things you like about MK.  I also understand
> that you haven't actually seen a lot of the world, so your decision-
> making being based on what you know is what's limiting you.

I've been to a number of random cities around the country. Hell, I've
even been to places in other countries. The nice thing about Switzerland
is the skiing. But if it weren't for the skiing and the snow, there
would be absolutely no reason to go there - and I would certainly never
ever want to live there, even if it were somehow possible to ski every
single day, all year round.

Similarly, I enjoy visiting places in London such as the Natural History
Museum and the Royal Albert Hall, but London itself is an unpleasent
inconvenience that I have to go through to get to these places. It's
certainly not somewhere I'd choose to hang around.

And then there are places like Liverpool and Lincoln, which I also only
visit because there's something there I want. I certainly don't hang
around for the city itself. Brrr!

>> Well, it's a case of facing facts. Who the hell needs programmers?
>> Nobody. Who needs someone to look after their computers? Quite a lot of
>> people...
>
> Nobody in MK perhaps, which is why you maybe need to broaden your search
> parameters - and not just by fields, but by geography.
>
> That's my point, and one you have rather persistently not seen.

Well sure, if I go live in London I'm sure there are bucket-loads of
programming jobs. The point is that I don't *want* to ever have to live
in London if humanly possible. What's complicated about that?

Hell, if I move to Germany, I could hypothetically go work for Native
Instruments. (I mean, if it weren't for the fact that this is obviously
impossible.) But then I'd have to live in Germany, which would kind of
negate the benefits.