POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Modern Linux desktops suck (Message 1 to 10 of 127)
From: clipka
Subject: Modern Linux desktops suck
Date: 17 Nov 2009 01:00:16
Message: <4b023bf0@news.povray.org>
Why? Just take KDE4's widget bar for instance.

Now KDE is an X11 Window manager. X11 was designed to allow for remote
logins, using XDMCP. By the very nature of such remote use, display
sizes /will/ vary.

One of the first things I noticed when I first managed to log in to KDE4
via XDMCP was that the widget bar had shrunk, and failed to occupy the
whole width of the screen.

Okay, so there is a button to click that will allow you to enter a mode
where you can resize the widget bar, and do other cool stuff like
dragging the individual widgets around.

Or accidently change the widget bar's height (because the interface is
new to you, and you decide to toy around), with no "back to defaults"
button to undo your changes.

As for moving the widgets around, they'll give you some kind of
crosshair to click-and-drag. Sometimes. You need to do /something/ right
to make the widgets move - if you don't (and it's not that it would be
in any way obvious /what/ it is you must do right), then the widget may
feel the urge to consider itself clicked on, and pop up. Great. You've
just been dropped out of "move-the-stuff-around"-mode.

But back to the widget bar's width. Oh yes, the "move-stuff-around"-mode
does give you some sliders to move the left and right ends of the widget
bar, so you can adjust it to your screen size. But that'll just last
till next time you log in with that old screen resolution.

Ha, but wait! There's an option to "Maximize Panel" - and indeed that
does cause the widget bar to go flush to both sides. Nice. But if the
developers had thought a tiny bit further, they might have provided this
as a /locking/ option, to have the widget bar auto-adjust to whatever
screen resolution you're logging in at. Well, they did not.

Another thing bothering me about KDE4 is its standard of single-clicking
a highlighted item to activate it, but they can't be blamed for me being
so accustomed to the Windows Way, and I concede that the KDE4 Way is
indeed more consistent with web browser standard behavior.

The scroll-wheel-switches-desktops thingie Warp is so fond of I find
actually quite annoying, can't think of how anyone might like it - as it
has the scroll wheel change functionality dramatically depending on what
the mouse cursor is currently hovering over. It might be less irritating
if KDE4 would have totally given up the concept of an application being
"in focus", or auto-focus whatever application the cursor is currently
hovering over, but that's not the case: The concept of focus is still
there, it's just being limited to the keyboard. Which I find a dubious
idea, given that mice by now have grown additional keys with
functionality that often transcends the concept of a point-and-click
device, while at the same time keyboards occasionally grow pointing
devices, and it becomes hard to tell the "mouse keys" from the "keyboard
keys".

(To be honest, Windows to some degree does the same thing, routing
scroll wheel events to whatever the mouse cursor is hovering over;
however, this is at least limited to the application in general that has
the focus. Plus, it's not usually used for such a dramatically different
functionality.)

But there are practical issues with this, too: So there you are
scrolling with the mouse wheel through your desktops. Whoops - now
you're scrolling through some list of a window on this desktop that
happens to be where the other desktop had desktop background.

Say what you will, but the scroll wheel is good for scrolling, and
shouldn't be abused for desktop switching. Now if a mouse has a 2D
scroll wheel, using the left/right scrolling for that (and exclusively
that) seems fair to me, but the up/down... no way. I hope I find out how
to turn this off soon.

Ah well, and did I mention that KDE4 uses a totally different font size
in a XDMCP login than it does when logged in locally?

Or that the Dolphin file manager gives you a nice "open with file
manager in super user mode" option, but in that mode refuses to launch
KWrite to open a config file for edit? Which to me defies the main
purpose of having a super user mode in the first place.

It's also nice that the "Personal Settings" window does pop up a pretty
list of items when you hover over a category icon, but although it
appears pretty much like a popup menu, no way you can click on an icon
in the popup...

Gee, if openSUSE 11.2 didn't come with a brand new version of boost, I'd
throw it off my hard drive again any moment...

... well, maybe that's enough of ranting for now. I do find some good in
KDE4, too. Enabling users to configure standard keyboard shortcuts
globally for all applications, for instance. I hope it works as
advertised. The standard editor, KWrite, seems superior to the Gnome
counterpart, too. Not to mention Notepad...

And my, this one-click-to-activate thing is more addictive than I
thought... I guess I'll turn it back on again...

Well, maybe modern Linux desktops don't suck /that/ much after all...

Post a reply to this message

> The standard editor, KWrite, seems superior to the Gnome
> counterpart, too. Not to mention Notepad...

Heh, it even comes with syntax highlighting for POV-Ray. I guess it can
stay for good... ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> The scroll-wheel-switches-desktops thingie Warp is so fond of I find
> actually quite annoying, can't think of how anyone might like it - as it
> has the scroll wheel change functionality dramatically depending on what
> the mouse cursor is currently hovering over. It might be less irritating
> if KDE4 would have totally given up the concept of an application being
> "in focus", or auto-focus whatever application the cursor is currently
> hovering over, but that's not the case: The concept of focus is still
> there, it's just being limited to the keyboard. Which I find a dubious
> idea, given that mice by now have grown additional keys with
> functionality that often transcends the concept of a point-and-click
> device, while at the same time keyboards occasionally grow pointing
> devices, and it becomes hard to tell the "mouse keys" from the "keyboard
> keys".

You rant and live and learn. For instance that you actually /can/ have
that "mouse cursor = focus" policy in KDE4...

Post a reply to this message

>> The standard editor, KWrite, seems superior to the Gnome
>> counterpart, too. Not to mention Notepad...
>
> Heh, it even comes with syntax highlighting for POV-Ray. I guess it can
> stay for good... ;-)

Get Kate. It uses the same underlying file editing component as KWrite, but
supports a lot more features, like opening multiple documents at once.
And an embedded terminal (useful for typing the ./povray command ;) ).

Post a reply to this message

> You rant and live and learn. For instance that you actually /can/ have
> that "mouse cursor = focus" policy in KDE4...

Yep, and it's great. The only problem of focus-follows-cursor (and alt +
click anywhere to drag windows) is that you get really used to it and really
really miss it when you use M$ Windows!

Post a reply to this message

> Get Kate. It uses the same underlying file editing component as KWrite, but
> supports a lot more features, like opening multiple documents at once.

What - KWrite doesn't? Didn't notice yet, but in that case... yes, I
probably want Kate...

> And an embedded terminal (useful for typing the ./povray command ;) ).

Heh, I just noticed the integrated terminal in the Dolphin file manager.
Which cd's automatically. Now /that/ is a smart idea! :-)

Post a reply to this message

On 11/17/2009 1:47 AM, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> You rant and live and learn. For instance that you actually /can/ have
>> that "mouse cursor = focus" policy in KDE4...
>
> Yep, and it's great. The only problem of focus-follows-cursor (and alt +
> click anywhere to drag windows) is that you get really used to it and really
> really miss it when you use M$ Windows!

Is there an ALT-TAB substitute on Windows that utilizes the mouse? Maybe
a hotkey + mousewheel?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Is there an ALT-TAB substitute on Windows that utilizes the mouse? Maybe
> a hotkey + mousewheel?

My old Logitech mouse had dedicated buttons for that below and above the
scroll wheel; never really used them though... aside from that - no, I
think I just tried any possible combo of Alt, Shift and Ctrl. Anything
more exotic would be less convenient than just pressing alt-tabl, so I
don't expect any such.

Post a reply to this message