POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : MS Windows Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  MS Windows
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Nov 2009 08:38:20
Message: <4b02a74c$1@news.povray.org>
There are a couple of annoying things about Windows too.

First, clicking on a window brings it to the foreground. You migth say
"well how else could it possibly work?" But back in the days of AmigaOS,
clicking a window gives it focus, but doesn't actually raise it to the
top of the screen.

Now *usually* either policy is fine. However, it's occasionally annoying
when you have a fullscreen window and you want to copy some information
from a smaller window into the fullscreen window. Under AmigaOS, you
just position the windows where you want them, click the big window and
start typing. Under Windows, if you do this, the big window will occlude
the smaller one.

Sure, you can change window sizes, but it's irritating.

(On the other hand, under AmigaOS, if the raise and lower buttons are
obscured, you can't raise or lower the window, which is arguably far
more annoying.)

The other thing that annoys me is the scroll wheel. Why oh why oh WHY
does it NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, SCROLL THE THING YOU WANT TO
SCROLL?! >_<

This is so exasperating! I point at something, scroll the wheel, and
some unrelated item somewhere else on the screen scrolls. WTF? The most
frequent example of this is in Windows Explorer. You open a folder than
contains millions of files, so you scroll the wheel... and the folder
list at the side scrolls 2 pixels left/right, rather than the main pane
scrolling down three pages like you actually wanted. WHY?!?! >_<

Also, which moron decided that clicking something twice on the task bar
should minimize it? I never *ever* want this to happen!