POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2
Date: 13 Nov 2009 23:35:01
Message: <4afe3375$1@news.povray.org>
I've got three identical laptops here - Dell D610s, all with the same
hardware configuration (they're part of a set we used to use for classes
on the road).

openSUSE 11.2 was released yesterday, and I figured I'd try out 11.2
(since I'm a forum moderator, I should know something about it <g>), and
my stepson had asked me about Win7 for his gaming needs (since he is
starting to look at games that need DX10 and runs XP).

So I thought I'd install Win7 on one of the laptops as well.

First I tried openSUSE 11.2's GNOME liveCD.  I'm a GNOME user, so it's
the most familiar environment for me.  Dropped the disc in, powered up,
every piece of hardware properly detected - wireless working, sound
working, didn't have to fuss with anything.

Then I tried the 11.2 KDE liveCD.  I generally haven't liked KDE, but
KDE4 is relatively new and I wanted to give it a fair shake.  Nice
environment - I actually kinda liked it.  I had a problem with getting
the network manager to pull a default route and DNS server setting from
my DHCP server, but the hardware was (as I expected) detected properly
and worked just fine.

Next, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate N on the system.  On the plus side -
the installation was FAST.  Of the three full product installs, it was
the fastest, actually.  I think it took about the same amount of time as
Windows 3.1 did if you took out the diskette swapping.

But it failed to detect my wireless card.  I had to actually plug into
the wired network.  Then it downloaded updates automatically and
installed a driver for the wireless card.  OK, it did eventually work;
but with oS 11.2, it just worked - didn't have to download anything.

It also failed to install audio drivers.  Now the Dell D610 hasn't been
tested with Win7, so perhaps this is to be expected.  What was unexpected
was finding out that there are actually NO Win7 audio drivers for this
laptop - you have to install Windows XP drivers in order to get sound
working.

So with stock hardware in the Dell laptops, I have to say that the idea
that Windows 7 "just works" and openSUSE 11.2 doesn't is complete pants.

Before I upgrade my real systems to 11.2, I need to check some software
compatibility and functionality for my Wacom tablet - since I use a
customized driver (patched with OLED support, which isn't generally
available) and the X server driver isn't complete yet for Xorg 1.7, I may
have to wait for that to be completed.

Jim

Post a reply to this message