POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 : Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting experience with Win7 and openSUSE 11.2
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Nov 2009 11:52:29
Message: <4afee04d@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Then I tried the 11.2 KDE liveCD.  I generally haven't liked KDE, but
> KDE4 is relatively new and I wanted to give it a fair shake.  Nice
> environment - I actually kinda liked it.

yeah, I'm willing to try it too.  It's certainly the most modern GUI
environment on Linux right now.  But surely GTK and Gnome will catch up...

> Next, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate N on the system.  On the plus side -
> the installation was FAST.  Of the three full product installs, it was
> the fastest, actually.

I have a feeling that lacking such full featured applications such as
OpenOffice, Gimp, some 4 fully featured text editors, Evolution, a fully
featured media player like Amarok, and other niceties has something to
do with it.  But, hey!, one can have loads of fun with notepad and paint
alone! :D

> So with stock hardware in the Dell laptops, I have to say that the idea
> that Windows 7 "just works" and openSUSE 11.2 doesn't is complete pants.

This has been a given for many years by now.  Lucky for Microsoft that
customers already get their new PC's with Vista SP3 fully installed and
properly configured by OEM's...