POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : go! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  go! (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: go!
Date: 12 Nov 2009 15:27:06
Message: <4afc6f9a$1@news.povray.org>
>> Question: How many Java programs have you seen that are more than
>> Tic-Tac-Toe demo programs? ;-)
>>
>> (Personally, I haven't seen many - although there are a few...)
>
> A large part of the e-commerce web is powered by java application
> servers.  The reason you only see old tic-tac-toe java "applets" is
> because that's what is left on the web after Sun's goals for desktop
> java apps got spoiled by Microsoft with their own incompatible Java
> runtime.
>
> That said, desktop java apps are still used at a fairly large scale.
> Federal Postoffice agency here in Brazil uses one such app for all its
> transactions.  It has that caracteristic Swing look-and-feel.  I gather
> banks also rely on java infrastructure heavily.  You quite never deal
> with it directly, though.  Only with the familiar generated HTML.

...so what you're saying is, Java ended up being big server-side rather
than client-side?

Oh, the irony of designing a language that works anywhere, and then only
running it in one place. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2009 16:50:04
Message: <4afc830c$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> because that's what is left on the web after Sun's goals for desktop
> java apps got spoiled by Microsoft with their own incompatible Java
> runtime.

I think you need to listen to less hype and read more actual accounts of
what happened there. MS's JVM passed more of Sun's compatibility tests than
Sun's did.  Java applets sucked *everywhere* from incompatibility, at least
as broken as HTML was, even from V1.0, long before MS wrote their own JVM.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)