POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Swell. (Message 183 to 192 of 312)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Swell.
Date: 10 Nov 2009 18:59:17
Message: <4af9fe55$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:10:55 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>
>> In fairness, when was the last time you tried copying a file that
>> somebody else was still using? Not so easy, is it?
>
> Trivial on Linux.

As long as you don't care about correctness. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Nov 2009 23:59:20
Message: <4afa44a8$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:59:15 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:10:55 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>
>>> In fairness, when was the last time you tried copying a file that
>>> somebody else was still using? Not so easy, is it?
>>
>> Trivial on Linux.
>
> As long as you don't care about correctness. ;-)

Depends a lot on a lot of different factors.  Since you're backing up an
inode, the inode is going to be generally valid (unless it's a special
file of some sort), but whether it's the version that's being modified in
memory on some computer somewhere over a network or not depends on when
the user last saved the file.

Jim

Post a reply to this message