POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Swell. (Message 133 to 142 of 312)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Swell.
Date: 10 Nov 2009 10:55:01
Message: <web.4af98c21a6cd6566dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> In fact, half the stars in the night sky probably DON'T EVEN EXIST ANY
> MORE. It's just that it's taken that long for the light to reach us.

Not for naked-eye stars. There's only a couple of thousand of those, and they're
almost all within a few thousand lightyears. The galaxy is only 10-15 thousand
lightyears across, so most stars are probably still as they appear to be
(barring recent novae, etc).

It's the other galaxies which are significantly back in time.

> > It just somehow... sad.
>
> Yeah.

Optimism, people! It was only a few hundred years ago people thought you'd fall
apart if you went faster than a galloping horse... :)

Post a reply to this message