POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Nov 2009 11:29:28
Message: <4af994e8$1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Stefan Viljoen wrote:
>>> *brrr* - I shiver at the thought of a mobile HDD as a backup device...
>> Why? If you have two copies, then crashing one doesn't affect the other.
>
> If you use a single one? Then again, single IS NOT a backup...!

It's still a backup. You're 99% less likely to lose both than to lose one.
Yes, you might drop the external drive on a concrete floor the same day your
main disk quits, but how likely is that compared to either one dying alone?

And yes, even if you have six backups, they could all go bad at once. (See,
for example, the 2012 movie. ;-)

> incident I'm thinking about I referred to in my other post, a simple fumble
> and the portable drive lands on a concrete floor...

And then you go buy another and make a new backup. It was just bad luck that
the primary died before you made another backup.

You think dropping a tape and having the case crack and spill tape all over
doesn't happen, or chipping or cracking a DVD? :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)