POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about imperial units Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Question about imperial units (Message 30 to 39 of 49)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Question about imperial units
Date: 9 Nov 2009 20:20:11
Message: <4af8bfcb@news.povray.org>
> "Would you believe his farm is four miles square?"

  Assuming that the farm is not a perfect square, how should one even
interpret that?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 9 Nov 2009 20:31:33
Message: <4af8c275@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   Even so, "makes perfect sense" and "is commonly used" are two different
> things. I don't know how it's in other countries, but I have never heard
> anyone using anything similar to "meters square" (instead of "square meters")
> here. If anything, that would cause confusion (especially if the meaning is
> intended to be something different than "square meters").

Well, you're living in... what was the name of the country again? Finland?

Not exactly on the lists of countries with a lot of native English
speakers, is it?

Leaving that aside, I have heard people using such expressions before,
and yes, it caused confusion to me. And no, they apparently did /not/
refer to square meters, but really some distance square[d].

Post a reply to this message