POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about imperial units : Re: Question about imperial units Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about imperial units
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Nov 2009 11:13:57
Message: <4af99145$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   Assuming that the farm is not a perfect square, how should one even
>>> interpret that?
>
>> It means that if you're on one side of the farm, you need to drive about
>> four miles to get to the other side.  (Probably approximately true
>> regardless of which side of the farm you're on.)
>
>   Isn't land measured in acres anyways?

Generally around here, yes. Most people don't have a good feeling for how
big an acre is. Most of the single-family homes have maybe 1/2 acre or less
of land. The multi-million-dollar estates are only 2 or 3 acres generally,
at least anywhere near an actual city. Farmers and developers will talk
about acres. Other folks who (say) fix cars for a living, or do accounting,
will talk about miles, as it's easier for them to visualize.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)