POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Font metrics Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Font metrics (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Invisible
Subject: Font metrics
Date: 3 Nov 2009 05:49:03
Message: <4af00a9f$1@news.povray.org>
Does *anybody* here know what the hell the width of each character in a
Courier 10pt typeface is?! (Apparently it isn't 10pt.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Font metrics
Date: 3 Nov 2009 07:49:59
Message: <4af026f7$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Does *anybody* here know what the hell the width of each character in a
> Courier 10pt typeface is?! (Apparently it isn't 10pt.)

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Well, by a series of experiments, I have discovered that the neither the
character width or character hight of Courier 10pt is actually 10pt. The
distance from the baseline to the capline is more like 5.5pt or
something, and the distance between characters appears to be exactly 6pt...

Post a reply to this message

> Well, by a series of experiments, I have discovered that the neither the
> character width or character hight of Courier 10pt is actually 10pt. The
> distance from the baseline to the capline is more like 5.5pt or
> something, and the distance between characters appears to be exactly 6pt...

Yes, the "pt" in fonts is a rather arbitrary measurement. I guess in
traditional typesetting it would refer to the height of the metal
"block" from which the letters were cut, so even there it would be only
indirectly related to the actual glyph dimensions.

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, by a series of experiments, I have discovered that the neither
>> the character width or character hight of Courier 10pt is actually
>> 10pt. The distance from the baseline to the capline is more like 5.5pt
>> or something, and the distance between characters appears to be
>> exactly 6pt...
>
> Yes, the "pt" in fonts is a rather arbitrary measurement. I guess in
> traditional typesetting it would refer to the height of the metal
> "block" from which the letters were cut, so even there it would be only
> indirectly related to the actual glyph dimensions.

Well, the glyph will be smaller than the metal block to allow some
whitespace around the glyph. But you'd think 10pt would be either the
width or the hieght of the block... Apparently it is neither.

Post a reply to this message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Em_(typography)

--
FE