POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Font metrics : Re: Font metrics Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Font metrics
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Nov 2009 09:59:16
Message: <4af04544$1@news.povray.org>
>> Your point being...?
>
> "In metal type, the point size (and hence the em) is measured as the
> height of the metal body from which the letter rises."

I knew that. ;-)

> "In digital type, the relationship of the height of particular letters
> to the em is arbitrarily set by the typeface designer."

In other words, given a 10pt font, there is no way to determine how tall
or wide any of the letters are. (E.g., they could be 10pt, 1pt,
1000pt...) This is very helpful. :-/

>> Last time I checked, PostScript measures everything in points.
>
> With the "point size" corresponding to the em. In a 10pt font, one em
> equals 10 points. The actual height of most letters will be smaller.

Still doesn't help me figure out how wide the letters of Courier 10pt
are. (Being a monospace font, all the letters should be the same width...)

As I say, it appears to be exactly 6pt. But I have no idea why...