POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lies, damn lies and statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Lies, damn lies and statistics (Message 59 to 68 of 68)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Posh Office
Date: 4 Nov 2009 12:37:39
Message: <4af1bbe3@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:
>> poll at work I stand corrected. The only person I asked who had heard it
>> was the office cleaner and she has a degree in fine arts.
>
> Must be quite an office if the cleaning is seen as a fine art  ;-)

I think that Rubens would have thought so :)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics
Date: 4 Nov 2009 14:07:49
Message: <4af1d105$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 02:24:56 -0500, Tim Cook wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Japanese?  Quenya I knew, since I own that disc (and the films), but I
>> didn't know about Spanish and Loxian (I don't even know where that is
>> from - off to Google it - ah, and I have that album too).  But where
>> does she use Japanese, Spanish, and Welsh?
>
> Japanese - Sumiregusa, track 7 on A Day without Rain (originally used in
> a commercial for Fujitsu a year or so earlier iirc) Spanish - La
> Soñadora, track 10 on The Memory of Trees Welsh - Dan y Dŵr, track 14 on
> Enya/The Celts

Wow, now I need to go grab the discs (or the subsequently ripped MP3s)
and have another listen.  Thanks!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Nov 2009 14:08:24
Message: <4af1d128$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 04:11:47 -0500, Tim Cook wrote:

> ...and a bit of French in Only If... on Paint the Sky with Stars

Hmmm, now there's an album of hers I don't have yet....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 4 Nov 2009 15:39:43
Message: <4af1e68f@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 04:11:47 -0500, Tim Cook wrote:
>> ...and a bit of French in Only If... on Paint the Sky with Stars
> Hmmm, now there's an album of hers I don't have yet....

It was a compilation album, only having Only If... and Paint the Sky
with Stars as songs that hadn't previously been on albums (though Only
If... had been on a single).

There's about half a dozen or so songs she's done that are 'b-sides', as
it were, appearing either only on a single or on different countries'
versions of an album...you can fairly easily find them in torrents that
contain (almost all of) her discography.  As specific variants of albums
and singles are extremely difficult to find (and almost certainly not
other than secondhand) most places, I don't see it as terribly bad,
especially if you've already legitimately bought the albums to which you
*do* have access.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Nov 2009 16:41:09
Message: <4af1f4f5$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:39:41 -0500, Tim Cook wrote:

> It was a compilation album, only having Only If... and Paint the Sky
> with Stars as songs that hadn't previously been on albums (though Only
> If... had been on a single).

Interesting, I guess maybe I had seen one of these compilation albums a
couple years ago and forgot it - but now you mention it, it does sound
familiar.

I do own most of her albums, having gotten Amarintine last December as a
gift.  The rest I collected over the years, I have two copies of The
Celts, actually - two different releases.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 4 Nov 2009 22:11:09
Message: <4af2424d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> And then we get to Why is
> the Rum Gone? and it's ilk...

Hey, I *liked* that one!

And mixes like that are actually legal.  Something about it being an
artistic reinterpretation; a lot of rap artists got started doing
similar things.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 4 Nov 2009 22:17:00
Message: <4af243ac$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> I assume

That's because you assume intelligence.

Unless they've changed their policy, then YouTube waits for someone
(anyone!) to claim that your video impinges their copyright.  Once
someone makes that claim, they remove your video and you are required to
prove that you are legally entitled to post it before you're allowed to
upload it again.

AFAIK, there is a very small burden of proof placed on the party
claiming infringement.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Nov 2009 04:32:28
Message: <4af29bac@news.povray.org>
>>> ...and a bit of French in Only If... on Paint the Sky with Stars
>> Hmmm, now there's an album of hers I don't have yet....
>
> It was a compilation album, only having Only If... and Paint the Sky
> with Stars as songs that hadn't previously been on albums (though Only
> If... had been on a single).

Indeed. And it's one of my favourit tracks on the album, as it happens.

I, however, own not only the album, but also the sheet music. ;-)

(It turns out most of Enya's music is based around trivial chord
progressions and harmonies. It only actually sounds cool when Enya sings
it.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Nov 2009 04:33:38
Message: <4af29bf2$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> And then we get to Why is the Rum Gone? and it's ilk...
>
> Hey, I *liked* that one!

So did I. But I'm just saying it's highly, highly illegal.

> And mixes like that are actually legal.  Something about it being an
> artistic reinterpretation; a lot of rap artists got started doing
> similar things.

Heh, yeah *right*.

How much money do you think the person who made that has? How much money
do you think Disney has? Hence: illegal.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 5 Nov 2009 11:14:45
Message: <4af2f9f5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> "Customers who bought Enya also bought:
>
> - Enigma
> - Clannad
> - Dido
> - Madonna
> - Dire Straits
> - U2
> - Michael Jackson
> - Fleetwood Mac
> ..."
>

> The first couple of entries make sense. But... Dire Straits?! WTF? From
> there on it just makes less and less sense. o_O

They were working through the alphabet.  They bought the Fleetwood Mac next.

Regards,
John