POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lies, damn lies and statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Lies, damn lies and statistics (Message 41 to 50 of 68)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics
Date: 3 Nov 2009 16:32:04
Message: <4af0a154$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> hey, I am 47 and still... nevermind.

LOL! Nice one...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: andrel
Date: 3 Nov 2009 16:34:35
Message: <4AF0A1EA.3020402@hotmail.com>
On 3-11-2009 22:30, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Most of the rock videos out there are actually legal. YouTube makes a
>> lot of deals.
>
> Wait - YouTube has *legal* stuff on it as well now?? O_O

It was always possible to upload legal stuff. E.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btVGCqpIoyk&fmt=22 is probably legal as
it was made entirely be the author (ok we have only his word for it).

But your reaction sort of supports my point, thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Nov 2009 16:41:13
Message: <4af0a379$1@news.povray.org>
>> Wait - YouTube has *legal* stuff on it as well now?? O_O
>>
> It was always possible to upload legal stuff.

Well, yes, I'm sure all those videos of "hey I filmed this dude totally
trip over a banana skin with my camera phone" are probably legal. (I.e.,
the videos that no sane person would watch.)

> But your reaction sort of supports my point, thanks.

Heh. The videos of "hey I filmed this concert I went to" are presumably
*not* legal... And then there's the fact that just about every movie
ever made can be found on YouTube somewhere. And then we get to Why is
the Rum Gone? and it's ilk...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2009 17:03:10
Message: <4af0a89e$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Sure, but how can you know?

You can't. That's what sucks about the Bourne convention.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Nov 2009 17:11:38
Message: <4af0aa9a$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:03:09 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> andrel wrote:
>> Sure, but how can you know?
>
> You can't. That's what sucks about the Bourne convention.

<insert witty comment about Jason Bourne here>

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Nov 2009 17:14:10
Message: <4af0ab32$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:23:02 -0500, Tim Cook wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:35:50 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> She sings in a lot of pretty random languages.
>>
>> English, Gaelic, and Latin IIRC.  That's pretty much it.
>
> Also Japanese, Quenya, Spanish, Loxian, Welsh.

Japanese?  Quenya I knew, since I own that disc (and the films), but I
didn't know about Spanish and Loxian (I don't even know where that is
from - off to Google it - ah, and I have that album too).  But where does
she use Japanese, Spanish, and Welsh?

> And she's awful purty--even being 48.  (Must admit to always having had
> a bit of a crush on her *blush*)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Nov 2009 17:14:50
Message: <4af0ab5a$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:54:52 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:56:57 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Gone! And never called me mother!
>>
>> Such a shame!
>>
>> Jim
>
> :(

I'd try to make it up to ya, but I don't think it'd be appreciated. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2009 20:07:27
Message: <4af0d3cf@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:03:09 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>
>> andrel wrote:
>>> Sure, but how can you know?
>> You can't. That's what sucks about the Bourne convention.
>
> <insert witty comment about Jason Bourne here>

Yeah. Berne. I knew it looked wrong.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Nov 2009 00:17:46
Message: <4af10e7a$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:54:52 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Such a shame!
>>>
>>> Jim
>> :(
>
> I'd try to make it up to ya, but I don't think it'd be appreciated. ;-)

:P
--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Nov 2009 00:32:06
Message: <4af111d6$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 3-11-2009 22:02, Stephen wrote:
>> andrel wrote:

>>> How should I parse that?
>>>
>>> 1) never called me 'mother'!
>>> 2) never called me. Mother!
>>> 3) never called my mother!
>>>
>>> And what does it mean?
>>
>> The lady’s son died before he knew that she was his mother. (Alcoholic
>> poising IIRC) So number 1 is correct.
>> It is from the play of “East Lynne” a sensation novel by Mrs Henry Wood.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Lynne
>
> Today I had a recurring discussion about the use of English in science.
> Someone had submitted a manuscript for correction to a native speaker. A
> number of the suggested corrections were good English but incorrect
> scientific/international English. Which reminded me that sometimes at
> conferences I have trouble understanding some Brits that wrongly assume
> that English is the language of the conference and that therefore can
> use any expression that they know. This would be a typical example.

You have mentioned this one or two times before ;)
Because you are from the Lowlands every English speaker expects you to
be fully fluent in several languages. (A complement BTW) But I’m sure
that we won’t go to war over it (again :-P)

> BTW how did Ellen become Henri?

When Miss Ellen Price married Mr. Henry Wood she became known as Mrs.
Henry Wood. This was the accepted practice in England in the early 19th
century (and even later).
--

Best Regards,
	Stephen