POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lies, damn lies and statistics : Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Nov 2009 00:32:06
Message: <4af111d6$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 3-11-2009 22:02, Stephen wrote:
>> andrel wrote:

>>> How should I parse that?
>>>
>>> 1) never called me 'mother'!
>>> 2) never called me. Mother!
>>> 3) never called my mother!
>>>
>>> And what does it mean?
>>
>> The lady’s son died before he knew that she was his mother. (Alcoholic
>> poising IIRC) So number 1 is correct.
>> It is from the play of “East Lynne” a sensation novel by Mrs Henry Wood.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Lynne
>
> Today I had a recurring discussion about the use of English in science.
> Someone had submitted a manuscript for correction to a native speaker. A
> number of the suggested corrections were good English but incorrect
> scientific/international English. Which reminded me that sometimes at
> conferences I have trouble understanding some Brits that wrongly assume
> that English is the language of the conference and that therefore can
> use any expression that they know. This would be a typical example.

You have mentioned this one or two times before ;)
Because you are from the Lowlands every English speaker expects you to
be fully fluent in several languages. (A complement BTW) But I’m sure
that we won’t go to war over it (again :-P)

> BTW how did Ellen become Henri?

When Miss Ellen Price married Mr. Henry Wood she became known as Mrs.
Henry Wood. This was the accepted practice in England in the early 19th
century (and even later).
--

Best Regards,
	Stephen