POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lies, damn lies and statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Lies, damn lies and statistics (Message 11 to 20 of 68)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics
Date: 2 Nov 2009 15:51:11
Message: <4AEF463D.90705@hotmail.com>
On 2-11-2009 21:35, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>
>>   You mean someone who buys Enya doesn't buy Dire Straits? Why not?
>
> Well, presumably people who aren't me have, you know, "normal" tastes in
> music. As in, they like one particular style and only listen to that.
>
> Also, while I'm sure probably a lot of people who buy X also buy
> unrelated Y, there would have to be a hell of a lot of people buying
> *the same* unrelated Y for the statistics to pan out like this... which
> would be a really big coincidence.

I think the statistics are that popular artists way outsell even
slightly less popular artist. So irrespective of what moderately
successful contemporary artist you pick, madonna and michael jackson
will be bought by the same people.

Pick a relatively unknown group and even the group that half the members
were in before that won't show up in the list.

If you pick an artisy from the 60s or 70s, people would have also bought
the beatles and presley.

Both Enya and Dire Straights were refreshing in their days, so I am not
surprised by the coincidence.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 2 Nov 2009 16:00:00
Message: <4aef4850$1@news.povray.org>
>> Also, while I'm sure probably a lot of people who buy X also buy
>> unrelated Y, there would have to be a hell of a lot of people buying
>> *the same* unrelated Y for the statistics to pan out like this...
>> which would be a really big coincidence.
>>
> I think the statistics are that popular artists way outsell even
> slightly less popular artist. So irrespective of what moderately
> successful contemporary artist you pick, madonna and michael jackson
> will be bought by the same people.

Ah, the joy of statistics... so many different ways to analyse the same
numbers. Heh. Well, it seems like a plausible answer anyway.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: clipka
Date: 2 Nov 2009 16:46:24
Message: <4aef5330@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 schrieb:
> andrel wrote:
>
>> I think 'Orinoco flow' may be the most well known song by her. Why
>> don't you try youtube and don't tell anybody I suggested that.
>
> ...or if you're watched the end credits to LotR...

Then for certain I /have/ heard something from her...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Nov 2009 17:39:26
Message: <4aef5f9e$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:41:16 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> The first couple of entries make sense. But... Dire Straits?! WTF? From
> there on it just makes less and less sense. o_O

If it's based on what people actually bought, there's no statistical
analysis really, just what people bought.

But Enya used to be a part of Clannad, so people who like Enya tend to
like Clannad - from there I could go into music by James Horner and from
there to pretty much any genre I wanted to.

It's kinda like the "6 degrees" game.  You could probably do the same
with music influences to JS Bach. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Nov 2009 17:40:24
Message: <4aef5fd8$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 20:48:54 +0100, andrel wrote:

> I think 'Orinoco flow' may be the most well known song by her.

I prefer Book of Days myself, but I'd love to hear the original version
(not the English version, which I do quite like).  Haven't been able to
find it anywhere.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Nov 2009 17:42:17
Message: <4aef6049$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 20:35:48 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Well, presumably people who aren't me have, you know, "normal" tastes in
> music. As in, they like one particular style and only listen to that.

I find that most people have a broad range of styles they like.

If you looked at my music collection from 20 years ago, you'd probably
never expect to find Queen or The Eagles in it, yet I've got both.  Most
of what was in my collection at the time was classical composers.

The list of music I listen to at the gym is a mix of Bear McCreary and
Queen.  The tempos just work right for me.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Nov 2009 17:56:44
Message: <4aef63ac@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Why don't you try youtube and don't tell anybody I suggested that.

Why do you say don't tell anybody?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Nov 2009 23:25:41
Message: <4aefb0c5$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> It's kinda like the "6 degrees" game.  You could probably do the same
> with music influences to JS Bach. :-)
>
> Jim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00nf3kr

Pete Townshend talks about the influence on his songwriting of composer
Henry Purcell.

Unavailable after 13:30 GMT. :(

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: TC
Date: 3 Nov 2009 05:53:08
Message: <4af00b94$1@news.povray.org>
The song "May it be" (LOTR, part 1) is sung by Enya. If you own the standard
edition DVD LOTR 1 the clip is included. Unfortunately the clip is missing
on the special extended DVD.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 3 Nov 2009 06:06:09
Message: <4af00ea1$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Then for certain I /have/ heard something from her...

ergo
oceanus, maritimus,
opacare, matutinus,
septentrio, meridies,