POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lies, damn lies and statistics : Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics
From: andrel
Date: 2 Nov 2009 15:51:11
Message: <4AEF463D.90705@hotmail.com>
On 2-11-2009 21:35, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>
>>   You mean someone who buys Enya doesn't buy Dire Straits? Why not?
>
> Well, presumably people who aren't me have, you know, "normal" tastes in
> music. As in, they like one particular style and only listen to that.
>
> Also, while I'm sure probably a lot of people who buy X also buy
> unrelated Y, there would have to be a hell of a lot of people buying
> *the same* unrelated Y for the statistics to pan out like this... which
> would be a really big coincidence.

I think the statistics are that popular artists way outsell even
slightly less popular artist. So irrespective of what moderately
successful contemporary artist you pick, madonna and michael jackson
will be bought by the same people.

Pick a relatively unknown group and even the group that half the members
were in before that won't show up in the list.

If you pick an artisy from the 60s or 70s, people would have also bought
the beatles and presley.

Both Enya and Dire Straights were refreshing in their days, so I am not
surprised by the coincidence.