POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while (Message 18 to 27 of 37)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttalsIhave seen in a while
Date: 3 Nov 2009 00:25:58
Message: <4aefbee6$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> Indeed, there's the epistemological issues. As a kid, many of us might have
> thought being forced, and sometimes tricked, into eating broccoli was
> torture, and hence an evil act.

I think that this is a bogus argument, basically because it's trivial to
imagine a world where all the things that taste good are the ones that are
good for you. Being forced to eat broccoli seems like evil because it *is*
evil - it's bad that healthy stuff tastes awful. Indeed, it's bad that there
even is such a thing as unhealthy food.

This is the "it's good for you to suffer" argument, which is a subset of the
"it isn't really evil after all" argument that I found clearly described.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)