POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while : Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most insightful rebuttal to the argument from evil rebuttals I have seen in a while
From: Tim Cook
Date: 3 Nov 2009 04:34:10
Message: <4aeff912$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> Good point. But does that we can imagine Event Horizon mean that we can
> imagine anything and everything worse? Maybe the bad smell objectors can
> imagine us but not Event Horizon. And yet, imagination may not be the key. I
> can imagine an 824 billion light years tall man - or rather, I may think, or
> claim, that I can imagine such a thing. You can very well doubt the
> legitimacy of such imagination. I can similarly doubt that
> bad-smell-objectors can legitimately imagine Even Horizon, let alone us.

Tangental to that, on the topic of imagination.  The brain-in-vat thing
is shot down by the idea that, if we *were*, we'd be unable to conceive
of the notion of a brain-in-a-vat.  But doesn't that totally disregard
imagination?  We can imagine things that we have no experience of, and
assign form to things that may or may not even be able to exist.

> Necessity of evil is a theistic angle. I don't find evil necessary - that
> would be like finding gravity necessary. Gravity is not necessary, it just
> is. However, I find it pretty much necessary that there will be things that
> sentient beings will find evil, for senses have to differentiate between
> inputs.

Gravity might well be necessary, once we discover what the heck it IS.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net