POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Largest POV image? Server Time
8 Oct 2024 19:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Largest POV image? (Message 21 to 30 of 56)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Largest POV image?
Date: 22 Oct 2009 12:34:37
Message: <4ae0899d@news.povray.org>
> Both NTFS and VFS in theory support up to 8 exabytes on a partition.

  Actually wikipedia claims that NTFS supports partitions and files of
16 exabytes. That's a bit better than ReiserFS which supports "only"
8 terabytes.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 22 Oct 2009 12:40:14
Message: <4ae08aee@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> If you generate a PNG image without any fancy filtering, then you don't
>> need any extra memory except for the DEFLATE compressor. But usually PNG
>> files use filtering to increase compression. (I don't know, but I'd
>> *hope* libpng provides a way to control this...) If filtering, you may
>> need the previous row of pixels [only].
>
>   I think PNG has options to filter with the previous row, the previous
> column, or both. I assume that if you choose to filter with the previous
> column only, you don't need to store the previous row of pixels in memory
> at all. (I don't know if libpng optimizes in this way, but at least in
> theory I think it could be possible to implement png compression like
> that.)

You need to store the previous row in POV-Ray anyway, to know if you need to
antialias the current pixel :)

Post a reply to this message