POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Largest POV image? : Re: Largest POV image? Server Time
8 Oct 2024 21:10:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Largest POV image?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Oct 2009 15:44:13
Message: <4ae0b60d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Does this amount of storage actually exist somewhere? (E.g., what kind
>> of space does somebody like Google or Amazon have?)
>
> Well, I have 2 terabytes at home and AFAIK that's not uncommon these
> days. Thinking from there, I think Google or Amazon really does have at
> least exabytes.

Yes, 1 or 2 TB HDs are on sale if you have the cash.

Note that before you get to exabytes you must first pass through
petabytes - we're talking about *two* scale units, not just one.

Given that a single drive can hold 1 TB, it's not infeasible that
somebody could amass 1,000 of those in a data-center somewhere. That
would give you 1 PB. But 1 EB? Is that really possible yet?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/