POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 4D Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  4D (Message 35 to 44 of 64)
From: Saul Luizaga
Subject: Re: 4D
Date: 21 Oct 2009 09:44:57
Message: <4adf1059$1@news.povray.org>
ANd nobody knows if we were or not 2D beings.

Post a reply to this message

From: stbenge
Date: 21 Oct 2009 11:06:04
Message: <4adf235c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> These are two seperate, unrelated geometries.
>
> 4D Euclidian space is interesting because it's a straight extension of
> 3D Euclidian geometry.

I should read more about this, sounds interesting.

> Somewhat weirder is hyperbolic geometry, where multiple "straight lines"
> through a single point do not intersect each other [except at that
> point]. You really need to play with this:
>
> http://cs.unm.edu/~joel/NonEuclid/NonEuclid.html

I'll check it out.

I've been trying to figure out how to calculate hyperbolic geometry, so
I may create new "circle limit" Poincare disk tesselations. I figure it
must be possible to create such a thing with POV-Ray functions, but so
far all my attempts have been total failures :(

Post a reply to this message

>> These are two seperate, unrelated geometries.
>>
>> 4D Euclidian space is interesting because it's a straight extension of
>> 3D Euclidian geometry.
>
> I should read more about this, sounds interesting.

3D Euclidian space = the place where we (apparently) live.

4D Euclidian space = the place where objects such as the hypercube live.

4D non-Euclidian space = any space with 4 dimensions that *isn't* 4D
Euclidian space. This includes a system where time is the 4th dimension,
but also many other kinds of space as well.

>> Somewhat weirder is hyperbolic geometry, where multiple "straight
>> lines" through a single point do not intersect each other [except at
>> that point]. You really need to play with this:
>>
>> http://cs.unm.edu/~joel/NonEuclid/NonEuclid.html
>
> I'll check it out.
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to calculate hyperbolic geometry, so
> I may create new "circle limit" Poincare disk tesselations. I figure it
> must be possible to create such a thing with POV-Ray functions, but so
> far all my attempts have been total failures :(

I believe you can use ordinary 2D coordinates for hyperbolic space, you
just need to remap them when plotting them in normal 2D space.
(Unfortunately, I can't find any formulas for doing this.)

Note that there is more than one way to project hyperbolic space into

trying to copy Escher's Circle Limit.

Post a reply to this message

> Well, AFAIK there's actually no fundamental reason to apply different
> "measuring tapes" to time and space:

It's not measured *quite* the same way... The distance between two events is
sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z-t*t) Note the - sign.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Well, AFAIK there's actually no fundamental reason to apply different
>> "measuring tapes" to time and space:
>
> It's not measured *quite* the same way... The distance between two
> events is sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z-t*t) Note the - sign.

Hence "non-Euclidian space".

Post a reply to this message