POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 4D : Re: 4D Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:53:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4D
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Oct 2009 11:15:28
Message: <4adf2590$1@news.povray.org>
>> These are two seperate, unrelated geometries.
>>
>> 4D Euclidian space is interesting because it's a straight extension of
>> 3D Euclidian geometry.
>
> I should read more about this, sounds interesting.

3D Euclidian space = the place where we (apparently) live.

4D Euclidian space = the place where objects such as the hypercube live.

4D non-Euclidian space = any space with 4 dimensions that *isn't* 4D
Euclidian space. This includes a system where time is the 4th dimension,
but also many other kinds of space as well.

>> Somewhat weirder is hyperbolic geometry, where multiple "straight
>> lines" through a single point do not intersect each other [except at
>> that point]. You really need to play with this:
>>
>> http://cs.unm.edu/~joel/NonEuclid/NonEuclid.html
>
> I'll check it out.
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to calculate hyperbolic geometry, so
> I may create new "circle limit" Poincare disk tesselations. I figure it
> must be possible to create such a thing with POV-Ray functions, but so
> far all my attempts have been total failures :(

I believe you can use ordinary 2D coordinates for hyperbolic space, you
just need to remap them when plotting them in normal 2D space.
(Unfortunately, I can't find any formulas for doing this.)

Note that there is more than one way to project hyperbolic space into

trying to copy Escher's Circle Limit.