POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Bad science fiction (Message 48 to 57 of 107)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Bad science fiction
Date: 17 Oct 2009 18:22:41
Message: <4ada43b1@news.povray.org>
somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
> I would consider several things, such as their growth rate without apparent
> nutrients, physically and biologically implausible. I think Aliens series is
> much closer to "horror when mutant, 20 foot ants attack" genre than hard
> sci-fi.

  Granted that the film took a "shortcut" with the growth rate. What are
the other several things?

> >   Besides Alien (and Aliens), this one is a perfect example of what I'm
> > looking for: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

> I just had a quick glance, but sun going out and being kick started by
> humans both seem like definition of supernatural.

  It's based on theoretical science, not handwaving:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ball

(See the "Fiction" section for a reference to the Sunshine movie.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Btw, can anyone recommend *good* sci-fi movies?

down a storm with me ;)
I find that my internal eye is so much better than any camera.

Probably not what you want, though.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> > I just had a quick glance, but sun going out and being kick started by
> > humans both seem like definition of supernatural.

>   It's based on theoretical science, not handwaving:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ball

> (See the "Fiction" section for a reference to the Sunshine movie.)

  Btw, I consider that as a trait of *good* science fiction: If it contains
something based on actual theoretical physics which you can then go and look
up in wikipedia and learn something new, rather than simply containing some
completely made-up physics or technology.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message