POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Chambers
Date: 18 Oct 2009 04:57:12
Message: <4adad868$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>> - Deep Impact is nice in some ways. It suffered from the fact that
>> Armageddon came out the same year. It's *much* better than its rival,
>> though.
>
> Much, much better.

I'd only partially agree.  Deep Impact had much better emotional
development, but was overall poorly written.  Combined with the fact
that it took itself so seriously, it was just painful for me to watch.
Armageddon was poor in quality throughout, but was lighthearted and
didn't take itself seriously at all.  In all, it was a much more
enjoyable film.

But I guess it all depends on what you look for.  I find that many Sci
Fi fans, for instance, are willing to overlook the common failings of
the genre (poor characterization, dialogue, plot development, etc) and
focus only on the parts that grab them (the societal observations, the
twist endings, etc).  I guess something in Deep Impact must have
resonated with you more than Armageddon did.

...Chambers