POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Oct 2009 00:21:15
Message: <4ada97bb$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/17/09 15:55, Warp wrote:
> - No far-fetched supernatural phenomena (unknown to modern science).

	This is perhaps too restricting. Go back 100-150 years and write a
story about modern times. See what scientists will think of it.

Anyway:

- Moon
- People say Solyaris (the original) is good - I haven't seen it.
- The original Planet of The Apes.
- The Andromeda Strain
- Forbidden Planet (not sure if it violates Faster Than Light travel, I
don't think they ever discuss the travel methods).
- Contact should really fit what you're asking for. Not everything is
"explained", but it involves a lot of discussions about science.
- Gattaca
- Deep Impact is nice in some ways. It suffered from the fact that
Armageddon came out the same year. It's *much* better than its rival,
though.
- Blade Runner
- The Fly (I've seen only the 80's version). First half is not
impressive. Second half is awesome.
- The Thing (perhaps - the story it's based on was somewhat hard sci fi,
I forget if the movie is).

But likely you've seen most of the above.

Your requirements perhaps don't include movies like:

The Man From Earth
Stalker
Twelve Monkeys
Serenity

--
Be independent! No, not that way! This way!