POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I don't do design Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Why I don't do design (Message 11 to 20 of 37)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Why I don't do design
Date: 12 Oct 2009 04:25:23
Message: <4ad2e7f3@news.povray.org>
> Isn't that just nausiating to look at?
>
> (Yes, it's Saturday Night, and I'm playing with SketchUp while listening
> to Jesus on Es.)

Hehe, this is on level with someone using Paint to draw a reflective sphere
over a checkered plane, and ending up with a red circle over a green
rectangle :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 12 Oct 2009 04:28:07
Message: <4ad2e897$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Hehe, this is on level with someone using Paint to draw a reflective
> sphere over a checkered plane, and ending up with a red circle over a
> green rectangle :-)

Why thank you. I feel much better now. :-P

Meh, the tutorial videos feature all kinds of intricate models, and
YouTube has a few people drawing highly complex stuff, but I don't see
how it's possible...

Post a reply to this message

> Why thank you. I feel much better now. :-P

Don't feel bad, you're using totally the wrong tool to try and do something
like you attempted.  There's a reason why Nokia don't use SketchUp to design
their phones :-)

> Meh, the tutorial videos feature all kinds of intricate models, and
> YouTube has a few people drawing highly complex stuff, but I don't see how
> it's possible...

Apart from showing off, I never understood people using a tool for something
it really isn't designed for.  If you really want to design stuff like that
phone with nice smooth surfaces then put the effort in to learning something
like Blender rather than SketchUp.

Post a reply to this message

>> Why thank you. I feel much better now. :-P
>
> Don't feel bad, you're using totally the wrong tool to try and do
> something like you attempted.  There's a reason why Nokia don't use
> SketchUp to design their phones :-)
>
>> Meh, the tutorial videos feature all kinds of intricate models, and
>> YouTube has a few people drawing highly complex stuff, but I don't see
>> how it's possible...
>
> Apart from showing off, I never understood people using a tool for
> something it really isn't designed for.  If you really want to design
> stuff like that phone with nice smooth surfaces then put the effort in
> to learning something like Blender rather than SketchUp.

I wonder - is there anything that SketchUp *is* the right tool for?
Every single time I mention it, everybody says I should use Blender
instead...

Post a reply to this message

> I wonder - is there anything that SketchUp *is* the right tool for? Every
> single time I mention it, everybody says I should use Blender instead...

AIUI (I only tried it once ages ago when it first came out) it is meant for
quickly designing simple, straight-lined 3D objects.  Like simplified
versions of buildings that mostly consist of cuboids or angled parts.
Wasn't it originally released to allow people to add 3D versions of
buildings to Google Earth?

Post a reply to this message

>> I wonder - is there anything that SketchUp *is* the right tool for?
>> Every single time I mention it, everybody says I should use Blender
>> instead...
>
> AIUI (I only tried it once ages ago when it first came out) it is meant
> for quickly designing simple, straight-lined 3D objects.  Like
> simplified versions of buildings that mostly consist of cuboids or
> angled parts. Wasn't it originally released to allow people to add 3D
> versions of buildings to Google Earth?

Indeed, there's a big 3-part tutorial showing somebody importing a plan
from a CAD program, tracing the walls, and cutting all the doors and
windows. The result is pretty impressive, actually...

My own attempts to do something similar are far less convincing.

Post a reply to this message