POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I don't do design : Re: Why I don't do design Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I don't do design
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Oct 2009 08:09:28
Message: <4ad31c78$1@news.povray.org>
>> I notice the brackets around the fraction aren't tall enough to enclose it
>> properly. You can fix it like so:
>>
>>   ( \frac{...}{...} )
>>
>> becomes
>>
>>   \left( \frac{...}{...} \right)
>
> OK ... this was helpful ... thanks.

Works with any delimiter, by the way:

   \left[ ... \right]

   \left| ... \right|

etc.

If you wanted to be flashy, you could replace min(...) with those funny
bent-angle brackets - but I don't suppose anybody except a mathematician
would understand what the hell that means, so leave it.

>> I should perhaps also point out that, technically, when TeX sees
>> <math>cat</math>, it interprets it as "c * a * t", which probably isn't
>> what you want. Use <math>\text{\it cat}</math> instead. (There's a subtle
>> difference in the letter spacing - and also the typeface is slightly
>> different.)
>
> The \it tag (italics?) was causing me grief. It gave a lexing error ...
> failed to parse. With the \text tag alone I get normal typeface, without it
> I get the italics typeface. it doesn't seem to be behaving as you suggest.

It's quite possible the Wiki doesn't support arbitrary TeX markup, but
only supports a specific subset of commands. You could try
\text{\emph{distance}} or something. That should typeset it in text
italics, which is subtly different from math italics (especially
spacing). The AMS-LaTeX \text{} command also adjusts the spacing subtly.
I will admit that all of this makes a fairly subtle difference to the
final output though.

> Here's what it looks like now:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation_Talk:Reference_Section_4
>
> I think it looks like what Mike was getting at ... correct?

Change "min" to "\min" to have it typeset correctly. (I.e., in Roman
type, like all function names. It might even fix the spacing on the
brackets following...)

The spacing of the superscripts looks slightly odd, but I couldn't tell
you why...