POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) (Message 11 to 20 of 78)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
Date: 19 Sep 2009 14:42:30
Message: <4ab52616@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> I don't think Linux package managers will automatically
> un-install those if you uninstall that image processing package

Actually, Windows will do this, too. The problem is that not every installer
will mark what dependencies it uses, so you'll often get the question "Hey,
the DLL called <incomprehensible>.DLL looks unused, should I uninstall it?"

If some installer somewhere that someone wrote just looked to see some
package was already installed and skipped the installation, instead of
bumping the use count, then uninstalling X mysteriously breaks Y, which of
course is exactly what everyone complains about on Windows.

Many, many of these problems are caused by lazy third-party programmers.
Windows would be a lot cleaner if they only supported the latest version of
stuff. :-) Or if MS had gotten everything right on the first try and never
had to support the broken stuff.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)