POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) : Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen inLinux)
From: Warp
Date: 19 Sep 2009 14:53:58
Message: <4ab528c5@news.povray.org>
> clipka wrote:
> > I don't think Linux package managers will automatically
> > un-install those if you uninstall that image processing package

> Actually, Windows will do this, too. The problem is that not every installer
> will mark what dependencies it uses, so you'll often get the question "Hey,
> the DLL called <incomprehensible>.DLL looks unused, should I uninstall it?"

  Btw, that's another annoying feature of Windows. Even though Windows
moved away from 8+3 characters long file names in 1995, most if not all
DLLs and other system files still adhere to that convention, for no
apparent or logical reason, so instead of getting a nice descriptive
file name telling you exactly what the DLL is for, you get a crpyptic
8-characters-long name which could well be random for all you know.

  Why are they doing that? I understand it that they did it the first
few years, but even today, 14 years later? That makes no sense.

--
                                                          - Warp