POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft is still at it Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Microsoft is still at it (Message 38 to 47 of 57)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Microsoft is still at it
Date: 15 Sep 2009 05:49:14
Message: <4aaf631a$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I mean, think about this. How often do you watch TV and see adverts
>> spit out completely unsubstantiated claims like "the UK's number one
>> haircare product" or "significantly outperforms competing brands"?
>> Most people don't pay the slightest bit of attention to this shallow
>> marketing drivel.
>
> But some do, and that's the whole point of advertising.

Hmm. Never mind that, at least in the US, this is illegal as hell, if
someone decides to sue you on the basis that you made the claim, but its
**not actually true**.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: scott
Date: 15 Sep 2009 06:49:37
Message: <4aaf7141$1@news.povray.org>
> Hmm. Never mind that, at least in the US, this is illegal as hell, if
> someone decides to sue you on the basis that you made the claim, but its
> **not actually true**.

Oh usually the exact thing they claim is 100% true, they just word it very
cleverly to avoid it being illegal, but also to make it sound as good as
possible (usually with creative uses of font sizes and colours).

Common things are to do studies yourself on very small samples, then claim
your product is preferred by the majority of people.  Or to find some small
magazine to do a test with your product (of course giving them lots of free
samples), then claiming your product is the best according to the magazine
(of course the "best" bit is in massive font size with the details being in
1pt).

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Sep 2009 07:08:07
Message: <4aaf7597$1@news.povray.org>
>> Hmm. Never mind that, at least in the US, this is illegal as hell, if
>> someone decides to sue you on the basis that you made the claim, but
>> its **not actually true**.
>
> Oh usually the exact thing they claim is 100% true, they just word it
> very cleverly to avoid it being illegal, but also to make it sound as
> good as possible (usually with creative uses of font sizes and colours).
>
> Common things are to do studies yourself on very small samples, then
> claim your product is preferred by the majority of people.  Or to find
> some small magazine to do a test with your product (of course giving
> them lots of free samples), then claiming your product is the best
> according to the magazine (of course the "best" bit is in massive font
> size with the details being in 1pt).

Or to say one thing, which is technically true, but worded so as to
*imply* something quite different, which isn't true.

My favourit one is price comparison websites. "95% of our customers
saved money by switching to us!" What, you mean 5% of people DIDN'T save
any money and yet still switched?! You have some pretty stupid
customers. :-P

Of course, if you just listen to it without thinking too much, it
*sounds* like a great company. Until you realise why that statistic is
there; people come, check the price, and if it's lower they sign up. So
their customers are *by definition* the people who happen to save money.
Not too surprising that they all saved money then, eh?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Tim Cook
Date: 15 Sep 2009 09:43:20
Message: <4aaf99f8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Common things are to do studies yourself on very small samples, then
> claim your product is preferred by the majority of people.  Or to find
> some small magazine to do a test with your product (of course giving
> them lots of free samples), then claiming your product is the best
> according to the magazine (of course the "best" bit is in massive font
> size with the details being in 1pt).

It also works even if you don't skew the results by giving lots of free
samples...there are enough small magazines and obscure awards out there
that as long as you have a competitive product, chances are you can find
*some* award that's legitimate..."best picture at small-town upstate New
York film festival!" or "Jan Smith's 30-print-run culinary magazine
favourite!" kind of things (except you leave out 'small-town' and
'30-print-run').

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 15 Sep 2009 12:04:43
Message: <4aafbb1b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> They don't have to guess, they can just copy the MS design.

Not really, since OO does different things than MS does. They could
probably, in broad strokes, do it that way, yes.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 15 Sep 2009 12:05:34
Message: <4aafbb4e$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Which MS probably copied from some guy who is now on food stamps,
> because his company came up with the idea, but couldn't market it before
> MS stoled the idea. Just saying..

Really? Do you have a cite for that?  Because the video I watched explained
how they developed it over the course of five years or so based on data they
collected from millions of users.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 15 Sep 2009 12:06:24
Message: <4aafbb80$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Hmm. Never mind that, at least in the US, this is illegal as hell,

Only if it's a believable claim. That's why you can see Dominos saying "we
have the best pizza in the world" but not "Our pizza is better than Pizza Hut."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Sep 2009 13:58:54
Message: <4aafd5de@news.povray.org>
>> Hmm. Never mind that, at least in the US, this is illegal as hell,
>
> Only if it's a believable claim. That's why you can see Dominos saying
> "we have the best pizza in the world" but not "Our pizza is better than
> Pizza Hut."

Is *that* how Lynx gets away with claiming that it will turn you into an
irresistable babe-magnet when this is manifestly not true?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Sep 2009 16:23:46
Message: <4ab14952$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Which MS probably copied from some guy who is now on food stamps,
>> because his company came up with the idea, but couldn't market it
>> before MS stoled the idea. Just saying..
>
> Really? Do you have a cite for that?  Because the video I watched
> explained how they developed it over the course of five years or so
> based on data they collected from millions of users.

Its called a joke...

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Sep 2009 16:27:06
Message: <4ab14a1a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. Never mind that, at least in the US, this is illegal as hell,
>
> Only if it's a believable claim. That's why you can see Dominos saying
> "we have the best pizza in the world" but not "Our pizza is better than
> Pizza Hut."

I have tried their pizza. They *might* be able to claim they are the
best "fast food" pizza in the world, and even then I tend to think they
win out only because of how ***horrible*** all the other ones where for
most of their first 10 or so years, but best anyplace? Gah...

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {